Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Footballdiehards.com: Good Stuff on Portis and others

NicholSkin

Haven't seen this posted.

http://www.footballdiehards.com/tn2.html#31

Washington Redskins

Compiled by FootballDiehards Editor Bob Harris | Updated 12 September, 2007

As Redskins.com staffer Gary Fitzgerald reminded readers, Clinton Portis' last carry in an NFL game was Nov. 12, 2006. His season came to an end that day when he fractured his hand in a game at Philadelphia.

Ten months later, Portis made his return to the Redskins in style.

In Washington's 16-13 win over the Miami Dolphins, he had 17 rushes for 98 yards, an impressive 5.8 yards-per-carry average, and logged a 19-yard touchdown run.

It was the Redskins' only touchdown of the game. He took a handoff rolled left, then slipped past strong blocks by left tackle Chris Samuels and tight end Chris Cooley at the line of scrimmage.

Downfield, Antwaan Randle El and Mike Sellers blocked out a pair of defensive backs, allowing Portis to weave past tacklers and make his way into the end zone.

"It was a great job by our line," Portis said. "And Randle El -- he had a great performance receiving, but on that touchdown he was probably the key block. He kept his man outside and I got the opportunity to cut. Mike made it up inside, and I just followed him up in there."

Portis missed most of training camp and all four preseason games as he recovered from lingering tendonitis. He showed no ill effects early on, picking up 11 yards on the Redskins' first two offensive plays.

Late in the game, as the Dolphins' defense wore down, Portis joined Ladell Betts to form a powerful combination in the run game.

They combined for 30 yards on a fourth-quarter drive that resulted in a 44-yard field goal by Shaun Suisham.

On the game-winning drive, capped by a 39-yard field goal by Suisham, Portis and Betts combined for 46 rushing yards.

Did Portis wear down?

"I felt good," he said. "A lot of people might have thought I was tired, but the way Chris Samuels and Pete Kendall marched downfield, and when you see Randle El continue to make play after play, and the linemen continue to block, you know that you have a team fighting together."

Portis did have to calm himself down, though.

"Early on, at the beginning of the game, I had to relax myself because I was so excited about being back on the field," he said. "In the first quarter, I missed a couple of reads from the excitement of trying to make the big play.

"I came in at halftime and talked with Ladell and he just told me to calm down, and I calmed down in the second-half and everything turned out alright."

Added Samuels: "A lot of people were wondering if Clinton was going to be ready and if he was going to stay healthy. He came out and played an excellent game."

Head coach Joe Gibbs praised Portis' performance after the game. He has always considered Portis one of the toughest players he has every coached--and that toughness was on display against the Dolphins.

"He got hit pretty good right in the first quarter and they padded his ribs--and I'll tell you what, he gave it all for all four quarters," Gibbs said. "I think he made some good plays in there without the ball in his hands. When Jason was running, he blocked a few times.

"For me, when you are out there, you have to look in a guy's eyes and you can kind of tell. And with this guy, he knows how this game is supposed to be played."

After the game, Portis refused to say he felt vindicated after his performance.

He was asked after the game if he felt like his play sent a message that he was back as an elite running back.

"I'm not trying to send a message to anybody," he replied. "What I did today helped my team win, and that's what I want to continue to do week in and week out."

And as long as Portis is healthy, he can do just that. As Washington Examiner staffer Rick Snider put it: "Betts is a playmaker that every team loves to have, but Portis is a game-breaker. There's a big difference. ...

Other notes of interest. ... According to Washington Post beat man Jason La Canfora, there have been doubts about the ability of the Redskins to find a true complementary receiver to star Santana Moss. But Randle El did more than his share against Miami.

Randle El, who replaced Brandon Lloyd as a starter late last season, caught five passes for a career-best 162 yards on a day when no one else produced more than 28 yards receiving.

According to SI.com insider Peter King, Randle El looks like a complete receiver now -- running excellent routes and making people miss when he catches it.

Lloyd, who like Randle El was given a big free agent contract in 2006, did not have a reception. It is the fourth time in 16 games with Washington that Lloyd has failed to catch a pass, and he has been held to two receptions or less in 14 of those contests. ...

The Redskins on Tuesday signed wide receiver Reche Caldwell, who was released by the New England Patriots during training camp. Caldwell was the Patriots' leading receiver in 2006 -- his lone season in New England -- with 61 receptions for 760 yards and four touchdowns. In three playoff contests last season, he had 16 receptions for 176 yards and one TD.

In other moves, the Redskins placed offensive lineman Jon Jansen on injured reserve and waived running back Marcus Mason. Jansen suffered a dislocated ankle against Miami.

Archived