Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Truly saddens me. Zell is retiring

Kilmer17

One of the few Politicians that get it.

It's a loss for GA and a loss for the country.

One of the few Democrats I have ever voted for in my life.

Democratic Sen. Zell Miller, a popular former Georgia governor, announced Wednesday he won't seek re-election in 2004 -- a move that could complicate Democratic efforts to retake the Senate.

The surprise decision came in a statement in which Miller explained he was making the announcement early so that others could prepare to run for the seat.

Miller, 70, had been retired from public life in the summer of 2000 when he was appointed to fill the Senate vacancy created by the death of Republican Sen. Paul Coverdell. Miller won a special election in November of that year to fill the remaining years of Coverdell's term, which concludes in 2004.

In his short time in the Senate, Miller made his mark on several key pieces of legislation -- often aligning himself with President Bush and against fellow Democrats. He was the Democratic sponsor of Bush's 10-year, $1.6 trillion tax cut and his Homeland Security Department, among other things.

Miller previously served two four-year terms as governor, where he was noted as one of Georgia's most savvy politicians. Among his greatest accomplishments was establishing the HOPE scholarships, which sent many Georgians to college tuition-free.

Speculation has been mounting about Miller's future plans, and some potential challengers reportedly stayed out of last year's race against Democratic Sen. Max Cleland, assuming that Miller would leave.

Then-Rep. Saxby Chambliss, a Republican, defeated Cleland, bumping Miller up to senior senator for a state known for long-serving senators such as Herman Talmadge, Richard Russell and Sam Nunn.

"I realize some will call me a 'lame duck,' Miller said in the statement. "But those who know me know I will be the 'same duck,' continuing to serve no single party but all the people of Georgia."

When Vermont Sen. Jim Jeffords defected from the Republican Party in May 2001, giving Democrats a one-seat majority, many Republicans pressured Miller -- who they viewed as philosophically similar -- to switch to the GOP.

In a statement from his office, Miller ignited the party-switch rumors by commenting that he had no plans to change parties "at this time." A few months later, he hardened that stance by saying that if he was going to switch, he would have by then.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archived