Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Afraid to be optomistic . . .

Tomel

I'm afraid to be optimistic. It's been 15 years since Gibbs I ended and, as a Skins fan since McPeak and Snead, I start each season with great optimism, only to be disappointed time and again. Maybe I'll just assume they'll do no better than 8/8 and will miss the playoffs again. At least I can then enjoy their occasional win, but won't be surprised when they lose.

Seriously, despite what the "talking heads" say, I think the Skins could do pretty well this year. In my opinion, the top three factors that will determine their success are (in order of importance):

1. Can we avoid having injuries sink the season. All teams have injuries. The key will be not having too many to overcome or having an injury in a position where we have a weak backup (e.g., the receiver corp?)

2. Will Jason Cambell turn out to be the guy we've been waiting for these past 15 years?

3. Will our turnover ratio move solidly to the + side. In other words, can we get more than our share of the lucky bounces that invariably either win or lose us a few games over the course of a season.

Those are what I feel are the most important factors that will determine this season's results. Should I get my hopes up - again? Or just assume we'll have a lousy season and avoid possible disappointment? Oh well, I predict 11-5 with a division win - I guess I'm just a masochist.

One last comment - DO NO trade Brunel. Palmer is definitely still a work in progress.

The way I look at...nows the best time to be optimistic. We are coming off a dismal season but have looked 100 times better (especially on the defensive side) If the defense can just return to 2005 form, there isn't a game on our schedule we can't win this year. We need to get off to an quick start in our first seven games...build the confidence to carry us to hopefully the playoffs

I'm with you man, I hate getting my hopes up knowing what happened last year when we were completely humbled. I was expecting great things last year and we were just awful. I do believe this year that we have potential to do great things, but i'm not going to get too high on us. I'll go in to every game expecting us to win however, but i certainly won't be talking any trash any time soon.

I'm not afraid, the result on the field is going to be the same regardless if we the fans are confident or not. I think we are going to kick ass this year. Our defense is serious, and with CP and Samuels coming back, and with Jason looking good, I think we should at least make it to the playoffs, barring any serious injuries.

Archived