Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

World Cup-American Football

Mania

The US beat Japan in double overtime 23-20 in the World Cup American Football. We were actually lucky to pull this out as most of the game Japan was outplaying us. It wasn't until the end when we tied the game up and went into overtime.

Then in the 2nd overtime (college rules) Japan missed a field goal and the US made their FG attempt to win the game.

Kind of interesting to watch, but none of these players are talented enough to make the NFL. Good luck to them for preserving the win as it would have been an embarassment to lose the game we invented.

I heard it vaguely mentioned a while back that someone I knew saw one of these games. As a complete football nut (save for college), I don't understand why I have never heard of this or seen anything about it anywhere. I mean, I am aware of all the future failed attempts to compete with the NFL they plan to start next year and I have actually been to an Arena Football game...

Anyway, I'm glad to see we are still better at the true American game. We'd get slaughtered in baseball at any level and in fact, we have.

The game was actually pretty exciting to watch. The NFL network showed a replay of it. The crowd was very small but really into the game. Japan is like the Patriots of the World Cup. They dominate.

If I remember correctly, this was the first year that the USA participated in the Tournament. Most of the players are from college who never got drafted to the NFL. Kinda like basketball in the Olympics prior to the dreamteam year.

To anyone that missed... despite the fact that you know who won the game, check it out. The second half is when USA pulled it together and it's a good game to watch. I had never seen one before, but I was sucked in and felt compelled to cheer on our country. japan's defense was damn good. They hit hard too.

Archived