Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Story about Gibbs and Bill Walsh

VinceGeorgeJoe

No, I think Gibbs deep inside him truly didn't like the guy, nor the fact that his team stole the "team of the decade" moniker from his own. As I wrote in a previous thread, I've always believed Walsh and the 49'ers were overated - As they had nearly a free pass to homefield advantage in the playoffs on account of their sorry NFC West opponents. The Redskins (if you dive into the numbers they'll demonstrate this - win percentage versus common opponents, etc.) were actually the better team in the 1980's, yet history is and will always gloss over Gibb's team because of the 49er's nostalgia.

This is not a surprise. Neither man was warm and fuzzy, and both were ultra-competitive. I'm recalling Parcells' comments when he heard that Gibbs had returned to coaching a few years ago: "I guess he won't be talking to me for a few years". Gibbs wears it gracefully, but he's just an ultra-intense competitor.

I can also see Gibbs not wanting to be perceived as developing a relationship with his son's coach that put his son in an advantageous position versus his teammates. I can also envision Gibbs respecting the private time that a coach needs before a game to clear his head and get organized.

Yeah Gibbs did say on Comcast that he really didn't know Walsh that well. This LA Times anecdote hints at something more going on under the surface, in my opinion. They're part of a unique and rare fraternity, and one is coaching the other's son in college, yet they can't even share a smile and quick handshake?

Sounds to me like there might have been some real animosity there.

Upon Gibbs' enshrinement in Canton (1996, I believe), there was a special on Gibbs on ESPN. Various players, coaches, media, etc. all spoke about Gibbs. Parcells made his famous "best coach I ever faced" comments, and everyone lavished praise on Gibbs.

In particular, Bill Walsh said, and I'm paraphrasing, "Joe consistently got more out of his players than anyone else in the game, and because of that, you have to call him the consummate coach."

Walsh said it very matter of factly. It wasn't glib, it wasn't over-the-top fawning praise, it was a straight-up no-frills assessment of the man.

Upon Gibbs' enshrinement in Canton (1996, I believe), there was a special on Gibbs on ESPN. Various players, coaches, media, etc. all spoke about Gibbs. Parcells made his famous "best coach I ever faced" comments, and everyone lavished praise on Gibbs.

In particular, Bill Walsh said, and I'm paraphrasing, "Joe consistently got more out of his players than anyone else in the game, and because of that, you have to call him the consummate coach."

Walsh said it very matter of factly. It wasn't glib, it wasn't over-the-top fawning praise, it was a straight-up no-frills assessment of the man.

that's all professional and curteous at the same time; however, walsh died yesterday, he wasn't inducted into the hall of fame. i simply would have thought that gibbs would have more to say about a man's life then just "he was a winner." and again, i caveat this with the fact that i know the media didn't air everything he said and i'm sure he was in a precarious position giving interviews about it right after he stepped off of the practice field.

regardless, there have been a lot of football deaths this offseason, how many patches will the redskins wear?

Archived