Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NewsPress: Deion censored by NFL Network-Pt. 3

SWFLSkins

The News-Press, news-press.com, Deion Sanders, NFL Network puts hold on DNFL Network puts hold on Deion column

By Ed Reed

Originally published on July 29, 2007

ALSO FROM NEWS-PRESS.COM

The column: See what had readers steamed

Forum: Post your thoughts on the column

Reactions: What readers had to say

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DELIVERING YOUR WORLD

• Subscribe to The News-Press

• Place a classified ad

• Printer friendly version

• Email this article

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m sure you came to this space today looking for Deion Sanders’ column.

And he wrote one for you.

But we can’t publish it.

Due to contractual obligations, his full-time employer —the NFL Network — has the exclusive right to Deion’s image and opinions. They invoked that right this week.

The national backlash Deion received for his perceived defense of Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick and dismissal of dogfighting started on Thursday after ESPN Radio dissected his column. It just happened to be the same day Vick was in a Richmond, Va., court pleading not guilty to federal dogfighting charges.

Understandably, the NFL did not like that one of the faces of its network was being portrayed as a Vick apologist. Deion sent a column responding to the criticism to The News-Press and the NFL Network on Friday morning.

That night, I received an e-mail from Thomas George, the NFL Network managing editor, which read: “This column and subsequent variations of it (are) not approved by NFL Network. It cannot run.”

Deion column

http://news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070729/COLUMNISTS41/70728036/1075

Wow Deion has had some serious backlash over his column. What is amazing to me is that the Sports editor did not tell Deion prior to his original column that it read-Pro Vick. If it indeed was not intended it sure seemed that way. Just like the remarks of Portis.

How in the world has Deion not questioned about the other players he claims to know that share that same passion as Vick.

It's sad that a person's "best column" can be misconstrued so much because it's author didn't explain himself well enough. I don't think Deion was letting Vick off the hook, but the way he states how we should care more about people killing people somehow makes it sound like animals aren't important.

It's sad that a person's "best column" can be misconstrued so much because it's author didn't explain himself well enough. I don't think Deion was letting Vick off the hook, but the way he states how we should care more about people killing people somehow makes it sound like animals aren't important.

Yeah I agree, He should have re-read that a few times himself and then let someone else do it as well. He failed to deliver his message and ended up looking like a simpathizer. He really generated some negative local attention. And ED the sports editor acted as though Deion, now living in Dallas, was doing the hometown some honor with his column. This also smacked of arrogance on his part, who gives a crap about a column from Deion.

Archived