Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Buying a new house around MD

coldpacker

Ok, so this is the deal. My g/f and I plan to purchase our first house. Its a long road till then but it doesn't hurt to get some insight now and figure out the route to get there. Also, i might have a change of heart if the deal is too good to pass.

We both are new to the real working world. We're currently looking for a house, preferrably a townhouse, with garage (hopefully space for 2 cars). My plan is that any house we get new or pre-existing, we're going to purchase a stripped down model and do all the upgrades ourselves which isn't a problem at all. We'd love a house in Montgomery County but with the typical prices around this area is doesn't seem reasonable enough for us. Anyways, we casually look at model homes every now and then and came up with a few conclusions.

Ryland homes located in Elkridge is priced to be pretty affordable for new home buyers. On the flip side, they are poorly constructed houses (imo). The designs are whack and don't exactly appeal at all to us. The neighborhood is very tight spaced with only 1-2 outlets for the WHOLE neighborhood. With all the downsides it has however, being priced at mid 300s makes it look a pretty realistic purchase.

Ryan homes is a HUGE step up. ABSOLUETLY flawless design. We know nothing about houses but we noticed it off the bat! Very spacious townhome great neighborhood and location for the both of us. I-95 isn't too far. These houses are located in Hanover, MD. Downside is they're priced towards the high 300s. Which is PUSHING the limit of our budget.

NVHomes is cool too. Design is great. I'd say its upto par with Ryan design. But with a price tag of low 400s which is pretty much out of our box.

I threw out the idea that foreclosure housing would be pretty great too. That way we can find a house in Montgomery County that we can afford. It's a new idea, we don't know much about foreclosure housing. But we're prepared to renovate on purchase if we do get one.

Anyone have any experience or suggestions?

My advice is to look for a foreclosure, or be prepared to make a major commute.

Keep looking. You are not concerned about having a fixer-upper so the longer you look the more you will know right off the bat what you want.

The commute for elkridge or hanover isn't too bad being its between baltimore and Rockville.. Where we both work.

Keep in mind that for new construction, upwards of 40k-80k should be added for upgrades/options. Where do u guys work and does commute factor high as a priority for you?

I live in Howard County and I love it.

We're not planning on doing any upgrades or options b/c i'm planning on doing the work myself or contracting it within the family.

Commute is definietly a factor but most importantly we want to live in a safe and decent neighborhood...

where the hot women walk around nekkid

Archived