Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: NBA Suspends Jackson, Artest Following Court Pleas

stwasm

Taking a page from the book of Roger Goddell, apparently! Love it!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2936623

Stephen Jackson and Ron Artest have been suspended seven games without pay by the NBA for recent scrapes with the law, the league announced Saturday.

Jackson, of the Golden State Warriors, was suspended for pleading guilty to criminal recklessness in Indiana, while Artest was suspended for pleading no contest to spousal abuse.

"I accept the suspension, believe it is fair and definitely look forward to having this entire process come to a conclusion in November," Jackson said in a statement released by the Warriors.

"Additionally, I apologize to my teammates, our fans, our ownership and the NBA for the negativity this has created and the poor example that I set."

Both suspensions will begin with the first game of the 2007-08 NBA regular season.

Jackson pleaded guilty last month to a felony count of criminal recklessness for firing a gun outside a strip club last fall and was ordered to pay a $5,000 fine and perform 100 hours of community service.

Artest was arrested and charged in March with assaulting his wife. He pleaded no contest to the charge in May and was sentenced to 100 hours of community service and a 10-day work project.

Both players were previously suspended by the league for their involvement involved in the Indiana Pacers' brawl with Detroit Pistons fans at the Palace of Auburn Hills in 2004.

Although I am not sure what the criminal wrecklessness entailed, from what I just read from Jackson, he sounds remorseful. It is always refreshing when you see someone accept responsibilty for their actions instead of having an attorney file for an appeal of the decision.

Archived