Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

QB protection(among other things) must be improved in 2003....

NoCalMike

Wasn't Santana Dotson signed to start at the DT position?

I don't recall Wynn ever being in the discussion for much DT time, other than maybe on passing downs or as an emergency fill-in.

As far as the OL goes, there were FOUR guys who were figured to be ahead of Loverne/Brown/Tucker, et al. Jones, Stai, Vickers, and Brandt. All of those guys logged little to no time at OG during the season.

Now, maybe none of those guys is a world-beater, but they probably were better than Loverne/Brown. So, to say that the FO did not attempt to shore up the line before the season is wrong. Certainly, they tried to do it as inexpensively as possible, but I think any team that was forced to go to the fifth and sixth option at OG would struggle some.

Success starts with the Line, both sides of the ball period. Ramsey can't throw deep when he can't even stand on his feet. Yeah, the line did good yesterday, big deal! It was Houston. Look at Philly, Gb, and NO. This team has given up 37 sacks, 37!!!!!! We need a big nasty OG, we need a healthy Stai, and although the Skins may be happy, I think we can beef up beter than Larry Moore, and then sue Moore as a rotation OG and C. Just my humble thought

Dirk Diggler

How many more games do you want to see Dallas rush for 250 on us?

Do you really believe that just because I think we should fix the OL first that I believe we should do nothing about the DL?

Personally, I believe that if our offense could control the line of scrimmage a little better -- and therefore the TOP and field position -- this team would have won 3 more games this season. Just 3 more -- say beating the Giants and Dallas and the 49ers. Guess what? There's a pretty good chance we'd be in the playoffs, even with the DL that you hate.

I agree that our DL needs help. The problem is that letting Dallas or the 49ers run for 200+ is not going to be solved by adding a DE. Sorry, guys, but it isn't. The entire defense gets downtrodden when they watch our offense fumble the ball away inside our own 20. Our opponents couldn't afford to simply run the ball on us if they didn't have 20 point leads that our offense gave up.

Will adding a couple of OGs improve the fumble-itis that plagues our offense? Nope. But the combination of experience at QB and controlling the line of scrimmage will certainly help. We need some new OGs to do that, and the only way we sure to get them is in the early second round.

Personally, I'd love to see us draft a top DT in the first round (although we've probably taken ourselves out of position to get one of the best) and an OG in the second.

Archived