Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Saunders the best qualified to teach Campbell the QB position

The Full Monty

im nowhere near as confident in our D as i am in our O. you want to hear me talk about positives, start an offensive thread. our o has been pretty good the past two seasons and its getting better. our d has been declining every year since 04. obviously it cant get any worse, but making a jump from 31st overall to a top 10 unit will be extremely difficult.

but back to positives, our O should be great. i have all the confidence in the world in what our offense is capable of doing.

altho i agree with you im not 100% confident in our D until i see it on the field , i would like to know where our D was ranked the year before williams , i dont remember it being all that good , i think last year injuries really killed us along with that fact that AA and CR couldnt get it down , this year i think our D will be a lot better maybe not right in the top 5 or top 10 , but it should be close

I would also like to throw Norm Chow into the mix. I know that his most of his work with QB's has been in college, but he's helped produce some pretty good ones.

@ BYU: Jim McMahon, Steve Young, and Ty Detmer

@ NC State: Philip Rivers

@ USC: Carson Palmer (the difference in this guy's performance before and after he Norm got there is night and day) and Matt Lienart

and now he's doing a pretty decent job with Vince Young in Tenn.

That being said, I'm 100% happy with Saunders being involved. Don't know much about Lazor other than that he came from Atlanta. I guess that means he worked with Vick?

]']Actually' date=' Norval might suck at coaching, but he isn't bad at making QBs look good. He helped Alex Smith a ton last year, but he wasn't much use here. I'd still take Saunders though.[/quote']

He's excellent at making everyone on the offense look stud. Everyone thinks Frank Gore is the real deal now. Norv Turner being your coach should add 600 rushing yards to your game. LT is going to dominate, Frank Gore is going to be pedestrian. If I had to pick an o-coordinator besides Saunders, it'd be Norv.

Mike Holmgren. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I clearly remember being absolutely floored when I saw the stat of Brett Favre's win % before/during/after he was with Holmgren. It's not just his ability to accelerate development in general, but also in the way he can structure a playbook around a QB's strengths.

Hasselbeck is great QB, but put him on more than half the teams in the NFL (that don't have Holmgren), and I'd bet top dollar his numbers plummet.

I completely agree with you, but I did like that quote that the thread starter posted about throwing motion.

Nice original post to this thread.

More than anything, I'm just happy that JC has all summer to learn everything he didn't get a chance to learn last year. People forget that even with no work with the first team, he still threw 10 TD's to 6 INTS, and the offense got better in just about every facet.

With more mental preparation under Saunders and a full year in the offense, I'm confident in his abilities.

He's excellent at making everyone on the offense look stud. Everyone thinks Frank Gore is the real deal now. Norv Turner being your coach should add 600 rushing yards to your game. LT is going to dominate, Frank Gore is going to be pedestrian. If I had to pick an o-coordinator besides Saunders, it'd be Norv.
Actually, if you look up offenses under Norv's direction throughout his career, they're pretty average for most years. I definitely wouldn't take Norv after Saunders.

And yes, while Saunders' background is in recievers, his passion and devotion to detail and perfection I think matches up with Campbell's work ethic very well, and should pay off this season after all the work they've put in together this past spring/summer. Can't wait to see all of this in action: Campbell, Portis/Betts, etc.

Yep the first person I thought of was Norv. He absolutely sucks as a head coach which is why I still think that SD made a mistake in hiring him but I guess it's hard to mess up with that team.

I would take Norv over Holmgren as an OC and QB mentor for sure and nothing against Al but I would honestly take Norv over Al for OC and QB Mentor also.

I'm very happy with Al but I think Norv just has a way for making QB's excel and has a way with the running game.

But give him the HC position and it all goes to ****. :laugh:

Who was the QB coach for SF when Montana and Young played?

Mike Holmgren was the QB coach of the 49ers from 1986-1988, before a promotion to offensive coordinator, that makes him responsible for the development of Steve Young. Montana had already been in the league for quite some time.

Saunders would be great as our next head coach, provided that our offense meets out expectations this year. His positive and energetic demeanor would great to have from our leader. But that would mean GW would probably leave huh? Wish we could retain both somehow. Pay him up the wazoo or something.

Archived