Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I wonder if we can keep Davis, and get more cap space in the process.

Zen-like Todd

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A64128-2002Dec16.html

Some Redskins officials believed yesterday that the injury could improve slightly the chances of Davis remaining with the team. They reasoned that if Davis and his agent, Steve Weinberg, are wary of the running back hitting the free-agent market with an injury, they might be more willing to substantially reduce Davis's income next season to stay with the Redskins. Under his current contract, Davis would count $11.4 million against next season's salary cap.

But the Redskins still seem prepared to release him, and it remained unclear whether a massive pay cut would lead team officials to keep him. Davis has not found a niche in Spurrier's offense, and the Redskins do not seem to believe they need to spend their money on a running back when Spurrier is intent upon passing regularly.

I'd been thinking along similar lines as of late. He's not THAT young, and he's been getting nicked up as of late. Who is really going to offer him all that much money in free agency? I'm wondering just what kind of contract he would accept.

Archived