Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Silver lining: Our offense IS improving

DeathByLinebacker

OK, I've been of the opinion that our offense, particularly the passing game has shown real signs of improvement over the last 4 games and that we have reason to be optimistic going into next year. I know some of you have expressed similar feelings and some of you disagree vehemently, so I decided to figure out the numbers.

To me, the turnaround came after Matthews was benched following the first Giants came, so I broke the numbers down into Weeks 1-11 and Weeks 12-15. The numbers in parenthesis are our NFL rank over that span.

1-11

--------

Yards/game: 293.8 (26)

Pass yards/game: 207.0 (24)

Run yards/game: 106.3 (19)

QB's Passer rating: 68.4 (29)

Yards/rush: 4.3 (15)

Offensive Pts scored/game: 16.5 (22)

12-15

-------------

Yards/game: 354.0 (10)

Pass yards/game: 263.5 (6)

Run yards/game: 107.0 (20)

QB's Passer rating: 84.7 (11)

Yards/rush: 3.9 (22)

Offensive Pts scored/game: 20.5 (20)

So basically we improved accross the board with the exception of yards/rush. We faced 3 good run defenses over the last 4 games and Davis didn't seem 100% his first few games back from injury so that doesn't bother me much.

In those last 4 we faced the NFL's #4, #8, #9, and #14 overall defenses without an Arizona or Seattle to be found.

Obviously we were only 1-3 in the last four, but without fumbles and kicking problems we would easily be 3-1. The offense is clearly working better as I see it whether we have Ramsey or Wuerffel in there.

Archived