Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AFC pulling away from NFC

Atlanta Skins Fan

It's been apparent this year that there are many more good teams in the AFC than in the NFC. The disparity is rather startling. I count 11 teams in the AFC as being "good" or "very good", while only 6 teams in the NFC make this mark. Check out the list:

AFC East:

Miami (8-5)

New England (8-5)

NY Jets (7-6)

AFC North:

Pittsburgh (7-5-1)

Cleveland (7-6)

AFC South:

Indianapolis (8-5)

Tennessee (8-5)

AFC West:

Oakland (9-4)

San Diego (8-5)

Denver (7-6)

Kansas City (7-6)

-------------

NFC East:

Philadelphia (10-3)

NFC North:

Green Bay (10-3)

NFC South:

Tampa Bay (10-3)

New Orleans (9-4)

Atlanta (8-4-1)

NFC West:

San Francisco (9-4)

Five good teams in the AFC are going to miss the cut for the playoffs. That's astounding -- I can't remember a year when 5 good teams from one conference missed the playoffs.

But expanding the playoffs isn't a solution either. No other NFC team deserves to make the playoffs. The Giants are next in line, and though they haven't been poor, it's hard to call them a playoff team. They haven't even scored more than their opposition this year.

And if you let in the Giants, you compound the problem, because the Giants are arguably no better than the Bills or Ravens, so the number of "good" teams would then stand at 13 (AFC) to 7 (NFC).

It's a good time to be in the NFC. But not a proud time.

Just to add, I don't think the conference disparity will necessarily carry over to the Super Bowl. The Eagles, Packers and Bucs would all be good Super Bowl teams. The Raiders look like the AFC favorites, and their dominant passing game might have problems against those NFC teams.

The Eagles probably deserve a Super Bowl win the most, but I'd rather not suffer the hangover in our division. Similarly, the Bucs have never made it big, so there's no need to encurage them -- better to have them spend another offseason doubting themselves. Probably a win by the Packers would be the best for the Redskins, since everybody would chalk it up to Favre, and everyone knows he's great anyway.

Archived