Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Connell in Arena League with Orlando

Hauss

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/football/pro/predators/orl-sptschmitz14121402dec14,0,7345850.column?coll=orl%2Dsports%2Dheadlines

Sports Commentary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brian Schmitz

Connell looking to start over with Predators

Published December 14, 2002 Orlando Sentinel

Connell looking to start over with Predators

Dec 14, 2002

Albert Connell can face the fact that he is now a Predator. It'll say so right on the jersey he'll wear for Orlando's Arena Football League team this season.

What Connell can't accept is people thinking he's a thief.

"I haven't done anything wrong," he says.

It's an odd way to introduce yourself to fans, but Connell can't keep quiet while he's portrayed as a Winona Ryder in shoulder pads and cleats.

Connell was in his fifth year as an NFL wide receiver around this time a year ago -- until the New Orleans Saints kicked him off the team for allegedly stealing money from teammate Deuce McAllister.

"It was a prank," Connell said Friday. "It got blown out of proportion."

Connell, 28, was arrested on two counts of theft and faced 10 years in prison, but the charges were dropped. He was charged with stealing $863 from McAllister's pants while McAllister was at practice on Dec. 5 and $3,500 from McAllister's car four days later. Connell said he gave the money back to McAllister each time, and that the two remain friends.

He contemplated taking legal action, but decided against it, adding, "the players' association didn't have my back." After battling injuries and tumbling down the depth chart, he believes the Saints seized the chance to oust him and his large contract.

"For the little money it was, why would I steal that from Deuce after what they [the Saints] just gave me?" he asks. "For them to ruin my life for this, get me arrested . . . it makes no sense other than they wanted me out."

If it was a typical prank pulled on a rookie, as Connell insists, it was an $12 million prank. That's what it cost Connell after he was released from his five-year, $14 million contract, a free-agent deal he signed before the season.

He wound up with $2 million after agreeing to give up $500,000 of his signing bonus. But Connell can't really put a price tag on what his prank cost him.

"It ruined my marriage," he says.

His wife filed for divorce and custody of their three children. "I had some crazy thoughts running through my head," Connell says. "I was so depressed. It got to my wife. I lashed out, then went into a shell."

The worst part was explaining to his oldest son, Moses, 7, "that his daddy didn't steal from anybody. Kids at school can be cruel."

Connell sat out this season, although not by choice. He has been forced to try a return to the NFL through the AFL. "I've been blackballed," he says.

On top of the McAllister controversy, Connell is viewed as a streaky receiver and a headache by some coaches, as witnessed during a nationally televised sideline blow-up with former Redskins coach Norv Turner.

Connell thought fate had intervened recently in Destrehan, La., where he has a home. The Predators were holding tryouts at the local high school. The tryouts were set up by former Preds star Damon Mason, a coach at the school.

Connell might have led the Redskins in receiving in 1999 and recorded a 211-yard game in 2000, but he was no different than any other dreamy-eyed wannabe trying to land a job.

They were all looking for the chance that he has lost.

"It's humbling," says Connell, signed by the Preds to a one-year deal. "All I want is a new start."

And, surely, a different finish.

Brian Schmitz can be reached at bschmitz@orlandosentinel.com.

Copyright © 2002, Orlando Sentinel

That is a depressing story. I wish I could still remember him as the WR in 1999 that filled the void opposite Westbrook. Unfortunately I still remember him as the guy that totally let me down in 2000. Obviously he needs to come back down to earth. Maybe this will help. Admitting he did something wrong in New Orleans would probably be a good start.....then maybe he could resume his carear in the NFL.

Amen Whiskey,

Connell did provide us with some good memories back in 99. If I am correct, he led the NFL(or was number 2 behind Westy) in yards per catch for receivers with 1,000+ yards.

What's odd is that both him and Westy are out of the league now. That just goes to show how far one can fall FAST.

Originally posted by Storm

the most amazing part of this is that New Orleans gave him a 14 million dollar contract to begin with.

Dont forget he walked away with two million in bonuses and his salary for one year, its not like hes living on the streets.

Yea but he also just got a divorce and with 3 kids yea he might still have 50000 left :D :doh:

I never really cared for Connell. Sure, he played well in '99 opposite Westie, but that was BECAUSE he played opposite Westbrook...when he got the chance to be a 'featured' receiver, we all saw what happened. Kind of reminds me of that Cowboys receiver (Harper?) who left the Cowboys to be the 'go to guy' on another team (forgot who..), needless to say, everyone found out how much of a 'go to guy' he was......

It's too bad for Connell, but you reap what you sow....I hope he learns his lesson and straightens himself out.

Archived