Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I found our new kickoff guy

Skins57

http://www.evangel.edu/News/PressReleases/2001/20010426Skaggs.asp

Springfield, MO — Justin Skaggs, wide receiver at Evangel University, has been signed as a free agent by the Washington Redskins. Skaggs joins Latef Grim from Pittsburgh as the other free agent wide receiver signed by Washington.

Skaggs (6-4, 205) will report to the Redskins on Thursday, April 26, for his physical. He will then take part in a three-day mini-camp that begins on Friday, April 27.

A Wentzville, Missouri product, Skaggs led the 2000 Crusaders with 22 receptions. He totaled 295 receiving yards and scored four TDs. Skaggs earned four football letters at Evangel and was a third-team All-Heart of America Athletic Conference pick in 2000. In addition to his receiver duties, Skaggs handled the kickoffs for the third straight year.

Skaggs also earned three indoor and three outdoor track letters at Evangel. He holds school records in the outdoor 200 meter dash (21.69), the indoor 200 meter dash (22.41) and the indoor 60 meter dash (7.07). He earned all-conference outdoor track honors in the 55, 200 and 400 meter dashes in 1999. Skaggs also participated in the NAIA national outdoor track meet in 1999 in both the 200 and 400 meter races.

Skaggs handled the kickoffs for the third straight year.

Funny stuff. I will find a way to keep him on the team one way or another:D

A Wentzville, Missouri product, Skaggs led the 2000 Crusaders with 22 receptions. He totaled 295 receiving yards and scored four TDs. Skaggs earned four football letters at Evangel and was a third-team All-Heart of America Athletic Conference pick in 2000.

Boy how about those 22 receptions! And third-team All-Heart of America Athletic Conference pick! Sure, Evangel isn't good enough to be in the NCAA, but the NAIA -- that's close enough, right? I mean, look at the tough, tough competition Skaggs faced in getting those 22 receptions and third-team conference honors:

Heart of America Athletic Conference:

Evangel

Benedictine

MidAmerica Nazarene

Baker

Missouri Valley

William Jewell

Culver-Stockton

Graceland

Lindenwood

Avila

Central Methodist

Wow! 22 receptions against these guys? Third-team all-conference?

Forget Gardner. Forget Thompson. Forget McCants. What we need to do is plug in Skaggs as our #1 WR.

Now I understand.

:doh:

Seriously: what kind of photos does Skaggs have, and who's in them?

At no time did I ever mention him replacing anyone (other than our kicker:D ) I know this kid is a Special teamer at best but why not see what we have before he is cut. We need a punt returner and a kickoff guy, why not? Betts is a good kickoff guy but he will more than likely be the starting HB next season so we don't wanna waste him on kickoffs.

If half this team had have the work eithic that Skaggs is said to have maybe, just maybe they could do some good for a change. Give the man a chance before you ship him out.:gus:

To be fair, ASF, the suggestion was for Skaggs as a returner... and while the NAIA may be scrubs to you, those times for the 200 and 60 are pretty good. Speed isn't everything, but it's a big factor for kick returns. Moreover, we know he has the dedication and he must have at least decent hands to make an active NFL roster as a receiver, wouldn't you say? The NAIA may not be the NCAA, but the NFL is the NFL, and that's the organization Skaggs is currently competing in. Give him a chance before you start jumping on him as you would a hated foe like the Cowgirls.

Originally posted by TerpSkin

To be fair, ASF, the suggestion was for Skaggs as a returner... and while the NAIA may be scrubs to you, those times for the 200 and 60 are pretty good. Speed isn't everything, but it's a big factor for kick returns. Moreover, we know he has the dedication and he must have at least decent hands to make an active NFL roster as a receiver, wouldn't you say? The NAIA may not be the NCAA, but the NFL is the NFL, and that's the organization Skaggs is currently competing in. Give him a chance before you start jumping on him as you would a hated foe like the Cowgirls.

Amen brotha!

:cheers:

Originally posted by Skins57

At no time did I ever mention him replacing anyone (other than our kicker:D ) I know this kid is a Special teamer at best but why not see what we have before he is cut. We need a punt returner and a kickoff guy, why not? Betts is a good kickoff guy but he will more than likely be the starting HB next season so we don't wanna waste him on kickoffs.

I've supported using Skaggs on special teams. But your post included the stats of his play as a college WR, and there is a vocal minority of Redskin fans (including here) who think Skaggs deserves to be a Redskin WR.

There's no evidence for this. I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm willing to bet that in the 31-year history of the Heart of America football conference, no "third-team all-conference" player from that conference, at any position, has ever made a significant contribution to the NFL. In fact, if Skaggs is activated this weekend, it might be the first time that such a third-team Heart of America conference player has ever been on an active NFL roster.

Heck, *I* might catch passes as well as Skaggs. How come I don't get to play for the Redskins?

P.S. For those keeping score, Betts is tied for #5 in the NFL for KR average (25.0, behind Brian Mitchell at #2 :doh: ). Watson is #30, with 21.4 average.

What that article and Skagg's history should suggest to you who figure "if he didn't come from a big time school like notre dame or florida he ain't worth it", is that MAYBE he was extremely raw and needed time to be taught, time to work out, time to develop.

After all the comments about 1st round recievers rarely making an impact in their first year, you expect Skaggs to do it? Jeeze.....this is his second year, first under a real offensive coach.

Chances are he won't become the next Thrash much less the next Rice, but if not afforded the opportunity, you'll never know will you? Would you doubters like to still have Thrash back or did you figure he'd flop in Phillie also?

I'll trust champs comments made last year and hope they were true about Skaggs being the hardest working reciever he's ever seen.

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

My point is, stats are deceiving.

If I told you, "This player had 36 catches at 1-AA Delaware State and he just got signed by the Redskins," what would you say?

Exactly.

Well, then, sign me up as the next Redskin WR.

McCants showed in his stats that he was playing well above Division I-AA level, and watching him play confirms this.

Nothing in Skaggs's stats suggest he could even play at Division I-A, and watching him confirms this. He has stone hands.

But he could be a contributor on special teams, and I've long supported this as a test.

You know SS said this is a time to look at his young guys and I believe Skaggs would qualify as a young guy. So what if he gets some WR play, if he sucks so bad, there is no chance he will beat out any of our WR and life would be good. Could it be your boy McCants( whom I am also a fan of) is close to being on the bubble after Sundays game? There is a reason SS didn't even get McCants first name right in the press conference after the game. I doubt that is the case but something seems to have you sure you don't want Skaggs to make it as a WR. We need to look at all of our young guys and Justin is one of them.Chances are high he will never be anything more than a STer but we have to find out :peace:

Your punt returner is sitting on the practice squad right now in converted WR/CB, Bruce Branch out of Penn State.

Has Great speed and returned several punts at PSU for TD's. If he remains on the PS, you will see this next year in the pre season. He's also a 2 year starter at CB for PSU, might work well in the Nickle when DG retires...

Archived