Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Third Phase

rtandler

In terms Steve Spurrier's thinking on quarterbacks, the Redskins are entering the third phase of the season.

In the first phase, games one through six, it was experimentation, trying to see which of his three QB's might play best. A 2-4 start while shuffling between the three quarterbacks begat phase two.

That was when Spurrier knew that his team was on the verge of playoff eliminaiton and, also, that the toughest part of the schedule was bhind them. In an effort to get back into playoff contention, he went in the direction that most other NFL head coaches would have in that situation. He went with his most experienced QB, Matthews.

The two wins over Indy and Seattle that got the Skins back up to .500 put them back on the fringes of the playoff picture. As it turned out, though, those games were but a setup for phase three, which kicked in after a pair of ugly losses to Jacksonville and the Giants.

In the third phase, it's time to gamble. You might be able to afford one more loss over the final six games, but certainly not more than that. So do you gamble with the rookie who missed 16 games of camp or do you put all of your chips on the five-year player who has been unable to establish himself as even a solid #2 quarterback?

If one believes media reports, Wuerffel will starter on Sunday, so Spurrier will likely go with the more experienced hand once again.

In all probability, there will be a fourth phase to this Redskins season, the one that begins when the team is officially eliminated from the playoffs. At that time, Spurrier will start Ramsey for the rest of the season.

I think its imperative to Spurrier's peace of mind that Wuerfell get a shot. He always said that the NFL gave up too quickly on him, so I think its important to him to give Danny one more shot, but I'm just talking out my ***, I really have no idea.

In all probability, there will be a fourth phase to this Redskins season, the one that begins when the team is officially eliminated from the playoffs. At that time, Spurrier will start Ramsey for the rest of the season.

Let me see.....hmmmm :fortune: that 4th phase should begin somewhere around the second half of the Lambs game Sunday. :( :cry:

Yusof06 that isn't far fetched as we all know, but I found this letter I had seen before. I thought it was strange to see it now.

It has something along the lines of not being able to go further because it wasn't covered in the instructions. The reply on the email was that I did the right thing, by not doing anything (which was a screw up to me, but to the person replying, I did right, because to improvise would have been disaster).

In short, Wuerffel could do no worse, because improvising wasn't in his instructions when he hesistated. He erred when he didn't throw the ball out of bounds. Matthews had this problem also and fumbled to make it worse. Yes Ramsey suffered it too. So the ball coach wasn't mad at all about a play with no results. He was mad at the QB's results for sending the ball in the stands.

Should Wuerrfel simply follow proper directions, if he's the starter, expect quite a few out of bounds, as he's not as sharp a passer as Ramsey or quicker judgment as Matthews (when he's on). What you can expect from Wuerffel is a quicker drop and quicker release somewhere. Just hope it's not in the wrong hands.

I think that, in Spurrier's mind, they are two losses away from the final phase of the season. With McNabb's injury, 9-7 could possibly get you into a tiebreaker for the division title.

But I agree with you, Yusuf, if it's 21-0 at halftime on Sunday, it's time to move on.

Originally posted by Yomar

I think its imperative to Spurrier's peace of mind that Wuerfell get a shot. He always said that the NFL gave up too quickly on him, so I think its important to him to give Danny one more shot, but I'm just talking out my ***, I really have no idea.

It's apparent that Spurrier won't rest until Danny gets what he perceives to be a fair shot. Better that it happen in this lost season than have him use up valuable practice time in training camp and/or in meaningful games next year.

Originally posted by rtandler

It's apparent that Spurrier won't rest until Danny gets what he perceives to be a fair shot. Better that it happen in this lost season than have him use up valuable practice time in training camp and/or in meaningful games next year.

What, you mean there are no more meaningful games this year!? Oh yeah, your right... :doh:

This is just a wild guess but maybe Spurrier needs Danny Wuerffel to play some because he is trying to figure out whom he keeps for next season. He will likely have at least one new QB on the roster going into next season so he wants to give Danny a fair shot and play him some now before he decides who gets cut to make room for the new guy. Taking that thought a little further, after seeing the slim pickings on the FA QBs list it may also mean the teams looking at the upcoming QB rich draft for some new talent.

Archived