Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Redskins 2007...success or failure?

stp240

Who was the bigger draft bust  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the bigger draft bust

• Heath Shuler - 3rd overall in '94
    • Ryan Leaf - 2nd overall in '98

We are playoff bound in 2007 if the following happens:

1) Jason Campbell does not regress;

2) The defense returns to its previous level;

3) We avoid key injuries (Springs/Portis/Moss) we had in 2006; and

4) We get some turnovers (2006 was a NFL record for futility).

No team, EVEN ONE COACHED BY GIBBS, can overcome these factors!

Ahhh...the off season predictions and recommendations for improvement! I'll throw mine in for grins. :)

Coaching

By ridding ourselves of Dale Lindsey for a high energy guy in Olivadoti, we may see a spark there I hope. Returning all of the key coaches is good for stability. I still would like us to cut back on coaches (especially if they're not talking to each other as rumored). We need cohesion with the defensive backfield and I'm wondering if our coaches there are the answer? I hear a lot about getting rid of Jackson.

In general, with all of the questionable game play calling, managing the clock, timeouts and game management in general, we need to improve that. I know a game takes on a life of its own, but we need to manage it better next year. Cohesion, chemistry and communication is key here. Almost like a marriage for us old married guys!

Defense

We need a MLB that can fit in right away so Lemar Marshall can go back to his old spot and compete with McIntosh for playing time. A healthy Marcus Washington will solidify us if we get that ready to play MLB who can quickly grasp the shemes and packages. We need to relook at the players we have and how best to use them in game situations so we don't end up with big plays and terrible penalties like last year.

We definitely need to look at our DB situation. Archuleta took a lot of heat this year. Hopefully the coaches can find packages to get him back on the field where he and the team can be at an advantage to succeed. Please put him in a position to use his strengths....tackling and blitzing. We can't expect him to cover. We know that now and we all learned a painful lesson that really hurt us in critical game situations this past year that cost us. We need to find a good cover corner in the draft or FA. Another complimentary safety next to ST would be great. Can we get Clark back? I'm not saying Clark is great but I feel our coaches underestimated the chemistry and locker room presence he possessed for us.

The line came on at the end of the year. It was nice to see Andre Carter show some good production at the end. Hopefully he's more settled and can springboard that into next season. We need another beast at DE that can pass rush and stop the run. I see a lot of names. Hopefully the "smart" guys in the front office and the coaches can find one that will fit immediately either through the draft or FA.

Offense

I think we're pretty much set. With a healthy CP and Betts as a one-two punch along with Cooley and Sellers we're there. The WRs with another year of the Saunders system should hopefully reap some good production. We kept an injured MB in there way too long. I didn't realize that he was injured in the first Dallas game until just recently. No wonder we had very few deep balls. Anyway...what's done is done and it turned out bad for all involved. I'm excited about Jason Campbell's play. He shows me poise in adversity and he/we had our share of it this past year. He has a rocket for an arm. He's big and mobile. I can't wait to see his progression. I know I need to contain myself about him but he does bring me hope for better things to come.

Special teams

We look solid there in my view. Suisham and Frost seemed to earn their jobs. We need to keep guys like Cartwright, Thrash and Kary Campbell out there to lead this unit. I like our coach Danny Smith there too...he's high energy and appears to motivate that unit in a positive tone.

Bottom line

I think we have the coaches and players (with just a few more ie. MLB, DE SS, cover corner and depth at O-line and D-line) to turn this bad boy around next year.

Getting a GM that's an expert talent evaluator would be nice!

That's my two cents for what it's worth......ahh the off season!

The winter doldrums are setting in already.....

HTTR

Another thing i thought of is that.... although 5-11 looks like a horrible record, 4 of those teams are all above average teams, i think this team as is (with Rocky) has the ability to be an elite team. They just have to play with that same attitude and intensity week in and week out.

Yeah, but how many of the 11 losses were to sub-par teams (Bucs, Vikings, Falcons, Rams). We win those games, we are in the playoffs even though we were 1-5 in the division, which is freaking unacceptable.

There is little to be optimistic about. Campbell will still struggle, he has barely played one-half a season. The defenses now have lots of film on him. Good defenses, like Philly and Dallas, will develop schemes to frustrate him.

We were fortuate with lack of injuries on the offensive line. I doubt we will be so fortunate next year. Gibbs and Bugel have failed to develop ANY OL depth over 3 years. That is inexcusable. Compare that to Philly or New York. We lose in the abilityto recognize, draft and develop young talent.

Offenses have figured out ST. He is a big liability in pass coverage. They are exposing him. We have no MLB. We let A. Pierce walk for peanuts. And we failed to draft anyone to play that position and to develop or play in case of injury. Again, inexcusable. We let Walt Harris walk. Look what he did this year with a 49'ers team that lost A. Carter and Peterson. The 49'ers had no pass rush either, but he shined. Compare him to Wright, Rumph and Imoh. Who would you have wanted on your team?

Our DL is aging: Daniels, Wynn and Griffin are past their prime. They will not improve with age.

Gibbs lacks the skills to evaluate and develop talent. He always had Beathard to do that job. Great coach, lousy talent evaluator. He throws away draft choices, when Andy Reid hoards them. Look at the depth of the Eagles; look at the injuries they suffered, but they still competed. Reid had young talent that he drafted and developed. We had an empty cupboard. We had Kozlowski! We quit.

We lack the opportunity to infuse new young talent via the draft. No draft choices. Stupid.

Despite a last place finish, we still have a difficult schedule in 2007. We play the AFC East. That is 4 losses. I see nothing that gives me hope that we can compete with the Eagles (swept us 4 out of last 5 years), Cowboys, or even the Giants. Maybe with Tiki retired, they will only rush for 150 yards a game against us.

We have too many cooks (i.e. coaches) in the kitchen. No consistent direction.

:(

First of all Joe Jackson Gibbs is the coach darn it!

The Joe Gibbs' all mighty Redskins of 05 have been forgotten by most.

With all the controversy surrounding the relationships between coaches and players, can this team right themselvs in 07?

Reasons to be optimistic about 2007

O-line: This group really came on STRONG at the end of the 06 season. I expect them to stay together and perform at a very high level in 07. All of us have just imagined Clinton Portis running through those 10ft wide running lanes.

RB: Every successful team in 06 had a 2 RB attack, now...we have ours. Both of them are THREATS to run the football effectivly

WR: Talent Talent Talent...Ability is not the question here. We lacked production in 06 but certianly not potential. All of our WR's are a THREAT to a defense. As i thought at the begining of 06, i still believe our receiving core is one of the more talented groups in the league.

QB: Jason Campbell can make all the throws. Potential is there, speed, arm strength, height, weight. Most of all, i like to see our young qb making good decisions for the most part. At Auburn and this year he managed the game very well. Thats exactly what any offense needs. Oh yeah...say goodbye to that 8th man in the box! We have a THREAT at qb now.

Chris Cooley and Mike Sellers are two great character guys who i would like to see alot more of in 07. In 05 theyre production in the red zone was unmatched. Both are huge THREATS to a defense...no more settling for the FG! Most time we got to the red zone in 05 we passed to Cooley and it worked! If not we hit Sellers! Campbell to Cooley sounds great too!

So in every aspect of our offense we are a THREAT to score. Gibbs knows how to win and he will make this relationship with Al Saunders work! As an opposing defensive coordinator in 07, i would hate to game plan against the Washington Redskins Offense.

And for the Defense...

What has changed from 05 to 06? truthfully not much! Of course the production was not there. But for a team to go from top 10 to last is not a case of "Oh these players all suck now." I saw plenty of evidence this year that this defense was just not inspired to play hard. Every great defense plays with an attitude! That just simply was not there in 06. As far as im concerned every position has players capable of playing at a high level. I say that because i expect Holdman to be gone and Rocky should fit in as a play maker. LB coach Dale Lindsay has recently been released so maybe, just maybe the team can give their full effort on Defense.

Our defensive scheme was not the best this year. GW earned his rep (defensive genius) somewhere along his career, now its time to show us why! This is when we need the Gregg Williams of old!

I plan to see a great defensive player drafted in 07, preferably someone to help the front 7 and who can fit in right away.

This is why i am optomistic about 2007 :logo:

So if you agree or dissagree tell me your opinion and why?

Your assessment of the offense is really good besides the fact that you think that our receivers are talented wide receivers. We do not have a track team so having the fastest receiver is not necessarily a good thing. As far as Lloyd and Randle El is concerned I am tired of hearing that they have such "potential" they have been in the league for 5 or 6 years now and if they have not reached their "potential" yet they are probably not going to reach it or they are already as far as they are going to get. Randle El would be a fantastic #3 and punt returner and Lloyd can be used but he should be used like Patten and Thrash is, every now and then, but we have to bring a more reliable receiver to D.C to compliment Moss or he is going to be double teamed and HIS effectiveness is going to go down like it did this year.

There is little to be optimistic about. Campbell will still struggle, he has barely played one-half a season. The defenses now have lots of film on him. Good defenses, like Philly and Dallas, will develop schemes to frustrate him.

We were fortuate with lack of injuries on the offensive line. I doubt we will be so fortunate next year. Gibbs and Bugel have failed to develop ANY OL depth over 3 years. That is inexcusable. Compare that to Philly or New York. We lose in the abilityto recognize, draft and develop young talent.

Offenses have figured out ST. He is a big liability in pass coverage. They are exposing him. We have no MLB. We let A. Pierce walk for peanuts. And we failed to draft anyone to play that position and to develop or play in case of injury. Again, inexcusable. We let Walt Harris walk. Look what he did this year with a 49'ers team that lost A. Carter and Peterson. The 49'ers had no pass rush either, but he shined. Compare him to Wright, Rumph and Imoh. Who would you have wanted on your team?

Our DL is aging: Daniels, Wynn and Griffin are past their prime. They will not improve with age.

Gibbs lacks the skills to evaluate and develop talent. He always had Beathard to do that job. Great coach, lousy talent evaluator. He throws away draft choices, when Andy Reid hoards them. Look at the depth of the Eagles; look at the injuries they suffered, but they still competed. Reid had young talent that he drafted and developed. We had an empty cupboard. We had Kozlowski! We quit.

We lack the opportunity to infuse new young talent via the draft. No draft choices. Stupid.

Despite a last place finish, we still have a difficult schedule in 2007. We play the AFC East. That is 4 losses. I see nothing that gives me hope that we can compete with the Eagles (swept us 4 out of last 5 years), Cowboys, or even the Giants. Maybe with Tiki retired, they will only rush for 150 yards a game against us.

Campbell STILL struggle? i dont know what games you were watching, you can name anyone's Defense to confuse JC but those 2...heck no:eaglesuck:dallasuck, if/when we come at Defenses with a balances 2 rb attack and a strong armed qb, there is always a reason to be excited.

NO O-line depth? so theres just 5 O-lineman on our roster right?...w/e:rolleyes:

just because we havent seen our depth at O-line, does not mean its not there...Wade comes to mind.

ST is NOT A LIABILITY in coverage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ugh!

teams game plan away from ST!

No MLB? so Marshall is all of a sudden not adiquite? The other 2 years i heard no1 saying this

WALT HARRIS!!! are you kidding! forget letting him walk, i would have personally chased him out of Redskins park!

Walt compared to a starting CB for the Jags? thats the right move

What team do you cheer for anyway? your assuming 4 losses?

We had just as many, if not more coaches in 91 as we do now...end of discussion

For the first time in a long time this team does have a direction

Offense will be amongst the league leaders as many have stated.

Defense is a MLB and an attitude away from making GW live up to his rep.

Draft the Penn State MLC Pol... (cannot remember his name) along with some other changes such as getting Rocky in FT and we are good to go.

11 wins in 07

In my opinion the offense is set to be very good in 2007. I think Jason made good progress and will be even better next season. The OL struggled early in 2006; but they were dominant the latter half of the season. So on the offensive side I have no concern at all.

Special teams, Including the kicking game I also think are set and I have no concerns there going into 2007.

Defense???? What I think happened is that the defensive coaches were so focused on not giving up the big play that they totally forgot to be agressive. I saw the DL and LBs waiting for the play to come to them instead of attacking. In 2004 the defense played an agressive/attacking style. In 2005 they were not so agressive and in 2006 were almost timid in their play style. While the injury to Shaun Springs was the reason for not blitzing as much; I think in hindsight the coaches were proven wrong in how to deal with the situation. With an agressive/attacking defense you may indeed give up the big play; but you also are more likely to create turnovers. So this is my assessment on why the Redskins defense went from being one of the best to one of the worst. Will they be better in 2007? I think if Joe Gibbs, Greg Williams and the entire defensive coaching staff take a critical look at the 2004 vs 2006 teams they will see why 2006 was so poor and realize that they need to get back to the 2004 style of play.

:2cents:

Wow!!! Will the earth spiral out of control and slam into Mars as well?

Huh? Sounds like you know a lot. If you're not a troll you're a pretty pessimistic person. Guess you're trying to stir the pot with the faithful here. Hey, you obviously have a say but in rebuttal, I disagree with all of your points except that there are maybe too many coaches, and some that don't talk to each other.

The glass is mostly empty for you...I don't see it that way for our 'Skins next year. The key coaching staff is back. We have a rising QB, two great backs, Cooley and Sellers and the WRs are set. Both lines could use depth. We need a strong "ready to play now" MLB, DE and a cover corner then I believe we're contenders again. Special teams look pretty solid! We're not that bad really....but if you want to think so...well then so be it for you!

My two cents!

HTTR

Destiny!!! Destiny!!! Destiny!!!

Fact: The Core Group Is In Place

Fact: Jason Cambpell Has Experience Under His Belt

Fact: The Schedule Is Predicable- 9-7 Or 10-6

Fact: Bill Parcells - Gone

Fact: Tiki Barber-gone

Fact: We Will Not Start Off 0-4 In Preseason, Less Pressure

Fact: Odds Are In Our Favor For Turn Overs This Year

Fact: Odds Are We Will Win Those Close Games/calls This Year

Fact: Coach Gibbs Is A Hard Worker/winner, We Will Rebound