Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Timing Patterns"

Larry Brown #43

Not that there aren't a million other things to complain about this morning, but one thing about our offense particularly bothers me. It's these so-called "timing patterns." Spurrier seems to love to save them for critical 3rd and 4 plays, yet they are completely useless. Matthews drops back, then quickly throws the ball off before the receiver turns around. By the time the receiver swings back to look for the ball, it has already bounced on the turf. I don't know exactly who's at fault on these "timing patterns," but how many times do we need to experiment with them on 3rd and 4? :gus:

As mentioned in another thread, I wonder how many of these passes are a result of Shane audibling away from a high percentage pass based on reading the coverage. I can easily see him switching away from a quick slant pass over to a fade (which we can't seem to complete to anyone) when the DB is playing tight because he doesn't have the arm (or the confidence) to throw the slant. Also, when you audible to a tougher pass in a critical 3rd down situation, it's almost expected that the timing will be off with our corps of inexperienced young receivers.

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to see the HBC take some of these audibles away from the QB until we get personnel that can call and run them properly.

Naw LB43, your particular point wasn't brought up in another thread. Just the concept that Shane may be making bad decisions in audibling that gives the perception that Spurrier is calling bad plays. The other thread discussed audibling from runs to passes, making it look like the HBC is abandoning the run.

But yes, I also wondered about those tough passes being called in crucial situations. I can't really see an experienced coach like Spurrier calling those routes outright.

Originally posted by LennyPs B!tch

But yes, I also wondered about those tough passes being called in crucial situations. I can't really see an experienced coach like Spurrier calling those routes outright.

Interesting. You could be right. At any rate, those plays should be stripped from the playbook until they have the personnel to run them. They also seemed to abandon those screen passes to Derrius Thompson. Maybe that has something to do with the way the Giants' D was lined up, but man that had been a successful play for us.

Archived