Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Good Stat Re: the 2006 Season

Oldfan

Won-lost records can be deceiving over a 16 game season.

From game one through game sixteen, did the Redskins improve or get worse during the 2006 season? I used a rolling six-game tally of the points for and against difference to get an idea.

....................PF.........PA.......DIF

Game 6:.......118......135......-17 (first six games)

Game 7: ..... 124 .....152..... -28 (games 2 thru 7)

Game 8: ......115 .....156 .....-41 (games 3 thru 8 )

Game 9: ........87 .....153 .....-66 (and so on...)

Game 10 ......101 .....143 .....-32

Game 11 ......115 .....137..... -17

Game 12 ......107......136..... -29

Game 13 ......104......122..... -18

Game 14 ........98..... 113..... -15

Game 15.......114..... 125...... -11

Game 16 ......125 .....139 ......-14

Even though the Skins lost five of the last seven games, there was significant improvement over that span and, at the end, they were playing like an 7-9 team on the upswing.

Oldfan, where do you get your two plus marks at the end? My math indicates we were still at -11 (114-125) for games 10-15 and -14 (125-139) for games 11-16.

We definitely were in a lot more closer games at the end......no real blowouts. The Brunell part of the season featured blowout losses to Dallas (27-10), New York (19-3), Indy (36-22), and Philly (27-3). God was the first half of the year a huge disappointment!! The playcalling and Campbell's performance over the last few games, coupled with the hope that the defense will return to a bit of normalcy, means that there is some hope for 2007.

There are quite a few revisionist history threads now. The season's only been over for a couple weeks, and you've already forgotten? The Skins may have lost better at the end of the season, but they still lost. They absolutely gave the Falcons game away -- squandered a fat lead. And they gave up massive chunks of yardage to the woeful Giants. If you're telling me that by playing the way they did against the Giants and Falcons that they'll make the playoffs, I think you're crazy. You do remember that they went 1-4 in their last 5 games?

I saw three big improvements on offense at the end of the season: the recommitment to the run, Campbell's development, and Betts' play. It still wasn't good enough -- they upped their points per game from 17 to 21, but the defense was pathetic. All in all, were they a better team at the end than at the beginning? Yeah. But not dramatically so.

Oldfan, where do you get your two plus marks at the end? My math indicates we were still at -11 (114-125) for games 10-15 and -14 (125-139) for games 11-16.

Your math is right. I was short-cutting by adding and subtracting from the first of the six and mistakenly went up one too many games. Thanks for the catch.

Oh well. I'll edit.

Mr. Madd, once they replaced Brunell with Campbell, I wasn't expecting a whole lot as JC was getting his feet wet. Sometimes a new QB can come in and lead his teams to wins but I would imagine historically that record-wise new QBs struggle during their first year.

Despite the woes on GW's side of the ball (his unit was crap the last 2 games) and the adage that "defense wins championships," what we need to see is a more consistent performance on the offensive side of the ball. When was the last time we had THAT?

MRMADD -- There are quite a few revisionist history threads now. The season's only been over for a couple weeks, and you've already forgotten? The Skins may have lost better at the end of the season, but they still lost.

On a 16 game sample, won-lost records are deceptive. The most reliable stat in grading teams IMO is points for and against adjusted for strength of schedule. I didn't bother adjusting here because we didn't play anyone very good or very bad.

Archived