Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This team is on the verge of something; greatness or a total meltdown?

grampi

I'm confident we'll be fine. I think the biggest lesson is that OTAs are no substitute for a long hard training camp. Camp is where the guys actually hit, unlike practice during the season (thus bad tackling, which we never had a problem with under GW). I'd bet that we won't have anymore of that opening camp on the last day bs anymore.

Our division is tough. We have three playoff teams in our divison. On the road against our divisional teams, our offense scored a total of ONE FG in each game. We are 1-5 in the division and one win was a miracle (how often do you see a blocked 26 yard FG in NFL? and it had to be blocked and be penalized for us to score)

On top of that, all three other teams have three first-day picks while we has one.

I had a good feeling this year would be a meltdown(although I wouldn't dare admit that DURING the season!). But I'm thinking this year is different. Everything I've heard from JG all the way to JC is that they want to KEEP the team the WAY IT IS. Everything is pointing to a (fairly) quiet FA period and a better, tighter group of guys for 2007.

I'm thinking this team will be 8-8 or 7-9 next year. Still REAL early to say but there's not a tremendous amount of reason to be optimistic. Sure, the running game got on track but they still stalled frequently in the end zone...ditto for Suihsam, its nice that he connected on those FG's but that means they're not scoring TD's. Campbell looks like he'll be adequate. I'd like to see him throw to the WR's more. WR's other than Moss are the pits. D took a MAJOR step backwards...not sure how that gets fixed. I think a major infusion of youth, talent and speed is needed.

I hope with everything that i got that it's greatness but i think we are closer to the meltdown. The players in general seem very uneasy and on edge. Alot of them i think feel unwanted here and alot probably don't want to be here. There is complaining pretty much about everything. There is negative talk about everything from up top with the owner all the way down to the backup players. Something just doesn't seem right and I don't know what it is. But the vibe that was here Gibbs' first go round isn't here this time. This is more like a Cardinals or Lions vibe. And I know Gibbs is a great coach, but i am just not sure anymore if he has control of the team, and really don't know if they believe in him. If that's the case it doesn't matter what happens in the offseason losing will be inevitable. Losing is easy anybody can do that. The Bungles did it for what 15 years. But producing a winner is really tough to get people to buy in to what your selling. I just dont know anymore. But here's to hoping.

You know what...I like this.

No one will give the Skins a shot in Hell next year...

I like it. Bring it on....JC and Suisham are the keys to this team...

Stability at the QB and kicker position equals success...and we NEVER have it.

Now we do.

My thoughts exactly. We have the keys to succeed and everyone will doubt but the Skins will be alive and well this time next year.

My thoughts exactly. We have the keys to succeed and everyone will doubt but the Skins will be alive and well this time next year.

Hey Capt, hope that you guys are right. But yeah it sure is nice to have a quarterback that actually excited and looking forward to watching. It's been a hell of a long time.

I believe the Redskins problem is that they are not playing with an agressive attacking attitude.

My belief is that Joe Gibbs (after hiring Al Saunders) withdrew from directly interacting witht he players as he wanted to give Greg and Al autonomy. I think he is so disappointed in the teams showing that he will return to a leadership position and will interact more directly with the coaches and players.

I also think that he (Joe) recognizes the need to physically dominate on both sides of the ball to win games. He will insist on a more agressive play from every player and instill that philosophy to all the coaches.

In 2004 the Redskins defense was one of the best. That season they had a very agressive and attacking defense. That style of play seems to me to have been replaced with a focus on being in the right position to make a play when the play comes to you. That attitude is much different from the attacking style that they played in 2004. For example the DE is told to protect the outside and turn the play in, instead of a sack the QB. Another example is don't let the receiver get behind you, so you play 10 yard off the receiver instead of playing him tight. The result is lack of turnovers. The risk is giving up a big play. Another agressive defensive play is to hit the receiver at the LOS to attempt to take them out of the play and at least out of any rythym (hey they can't beat you deep if they can't get off the LOS).

I expect to see that more agressive attitude right from the start of preseason. This change in attitude will return the Redskins to a winning team in 2007 (I'm hoping). So yes, I think the team is poised to return to greatness.

I believe the Redskins problem is that they are not playing with an agressive attacking attitude.

My belief is that Joe Gibbs (after hiring Al Saunders) withdrew from directly interacting witht he players as he wanted to give Greg and Al autonomy. I think he is so disappointed in the teams showing that he will return to a leadership position and will interact more directly with the coaches and players.

I also think that he (Joe) recognizes the need to physically dominate on both sides of the ball to win games. He will insist on a more agressive play from every player and instill that philosophy to all the coaches.

In 2004 the Redskins defense was one of the best. That season they had a very agressive and attacking defense. That style of play seems to me to have been replaced with a focus on being in the right position to make a play when the play comes to you. That attitude is much different from the attacking style that they played in 2004. For example the DE is told to protect the outside and turn the play in, instead of a sack the QB. Another example is don't let the receiver get behind you, so you play 10 yard off the receiver instead of playing him tight. The result is lack of turnovers. The risk is giving up a big play. Another agressive defensive play is to hit the receiver at the LOS to attempt to take them out of the play and at least out of any rythym (hey they can't beat you deep if they can't get off the LOS).

I expect to see that more agressive attitude right from the start of preseason. This change in attitude will return the Redskins to a winning team in 2007 (I'm hoping). So yes, I think the team is poised to return to greatness.

I think the reason we looked relatively good at the end of the season was that the Offense DID start playing with aggression. They were killing people on the lines.

The problem is the Defense lost their aggression early and never got it back for more than one game here and there.

Archived