Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What happened to Reed Doughty?

chairmangao

Safties can make up for whatever they lack in timed speed, probably better than players at any other position. In fact, a slower safety might get to the ball more quickly than a faster one--if he has a feel for angles, his opponent, the offensive play and the defensive call. It's all about "mental speed" as scouts call it. Don Pompei - Sporting News

http://www.sportingnews.com/experts/dan-pompei/20050307.html

Since this seems to be a Reed Doughty bashing thread, I have to add my two cents worth. I realize that given the results of the season so far, there are a lot of pent up emotions. Emotions that all too often translate into uninformed, baseless comments. Those comments are theraputical for the poster more than anything else. While many of you are looking for the next scapegoat to crucify (it seems to change from day to day and week to week) you may want to consider a few facts.

If that is the case (which I doubt) he stands in very good company. Reed's 40 yd times at the Colorado State University Pro Day as witnessed by NFL Scouts were 4.60 with and 4.67 against. Compare that with 7 time Pro Bowler John Lynch who ran a 4.64 at the Combine. Also consider Reed's 3-cone time at the Combine; fastest time posted. Not just of the safeties, but fastest time period. The 3-cone drill is reflective of "Football Speed". (ie. angles/agility) The 40 yd time is a reflection of "Track Speed".

As to not scoring on the blocked punt recovery; my question would be, was there any downfield blocking at all or did only Reed and Rock beat their men at the line of scrimmage.

Go Skins! :logo:

Mrs. Daughty is that you???

Archived