Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

[B]Audibles???[/B]

B&GPride44

I searched and couldn't find this sorry if it's been discussed before!

I was just wondering if Joe Gibbs or I guess Al Saunders now gives his Quarterbacks the option to audible at the line of scrimmage. Is it just me or has there been times when down and distance dictate play call and generally you know in the realm of what's coming(run/pass) and you see the Defense creep up to the line in a run blitz or a nickel back creeping on the edge coming on a cat blitz...When it's painfully obvious to the viewers at home that if they run here, they're screwed or if Brunell doesn't check to a hot read here they're screwed. Brunell has to see this right??? Does he not have the ability in this offense to call an Audible? Is it something that is not allowed? Anyone with any insight on this? Thanks

Hail!!!

Spurrier tried to audible at the line of scrimmage based upon what the QB saw right before the hike. What he didn't realize is that in the pros the Defense disguises its intentions. As for hot reads etc I believe most of the plays have check down options. Don't worry Brunell has been playing at the pro level for many many years. He knows how to play football far better than the fans. Saunder has been coaching for decades. What is "obvious" to fans is well known to both the QB and the coaching staff.

I"M NOT STARTING A BRUNELL BASH when I say this, but I don't think Brunell could audible with any amount of success. I'm not saying he can't read defenses like Ramsey couldn't, but he gets the play, and watchs only the reciever the play is called for, then dumps it off or throws it out of bounds. If he changes the play at the line of scrimmage it wouldn't help that much cause he would do the same thing no matter what play is called.

I think when he does change things at the LOS it's to pick up blitzes and not to completely change the play.

Spurrier tried to audible at the line of scrimmage based upon what the QB saw right before the hike. What he didn't realize is that in the pros the Defense disguises its intentions. As for hot reads etc I believe most of the plays have check down options. Don't worry Brunell has been playing at the pro level for many many years. He knows how to play football far better than the fans. Saunder has been coaching for decades. What is "obvious" to fans is well known to both the QB and the coaching staff.

Then explain the inability to beat blitzes with a quick hit or the fact that the play is never changed at the line...Well known to QB and coaching staff = why the F haven't we changed anything...Don't run the ball right at a run blitz and don't drop back 20 yards when you know the blitz is coming off the edge! If it's so well known why haven't we corrected it! Is it Brunell or is it the coaching staff tying his hands...Answer me that?

There are almost no Audibles in this system. The QB is supposed to read the defense and realize where to go based on that. It makes sense if you run a scheme with 3 WRS, a TE, and a great RB that you have an obvious mismatch on every play without resorting to audibles. If they stack eight in the box then you only have three defenders covering four pass catching threats. If they start mainly covering the WRs and TE then you run the ball. The only problem is we are missing Portis and this offense has to get in sync but it doesn't require any audibles at all when it is run properly, there will be one guy wide open on every play.

Archived