Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The most difficult decision for an athelete to make

Chief skin

The most difficult thing for a pro athlete to realize in any sport is when it is time to retire. Brunell is obviously at a point where the spirit is willing but he is physicall unable to perform at a level that is required in this league. He was a great player in Jacksonville but, age and the beatings he took over the years have taken its toll. All the great players have had to admit it and give up a game they have played since they were ankle biters, some deal with it better then others and leave on top others hang around and tarnish their legacy, image. In the end it is all the same when you have to go you gotta go. I liked watching Brunell play in Jacksonville, he was a helluva athelete and was excited when we got him but, he is a shell of what he was and it is sad and embarassing to see a proud competitor struggle and fail. The time has come for the coaching staff to realize what Jack Delrio did a few years ago. Brunell is not able to do it anymore I do not think this is a slump he can play out of.

Any opinions on this angle, it is truly the hardest decision an athlete ever has to face. When the time has come to call it a career, to admit to your self you can't do ot any more

I agree with you. Which is why you can't leave it up to the athlete to make that decision. A good example of this (on a much smaller scale) is that Red Sox game a couple of years ago in the playoffs. Pedro was in but struggling, so the manager went out and asked him if he had enough left to finish. He, of course, said yes, even though he didn't. They left him in and he got killed.

Joe Gibbs has gotten rid of favorite players when he felt they couldn't cut it anymore

don't think he jepordizes the team for one player, ask John Riggins, ask Jay Scheorder, ask Coles,....just for a couple examples.

This could be different Gibbs hand picked Brunell he may have it in his head that Brunell is going to be the 4th different QB he has taken and won a SB with.

This could be different Gibbs hand picked Brunell he may have it in his head that Brunell is going to be the 4th different QB he has taken and won a SB with.

Yeah, that is the only reeason why I can see Gibbs sticking with him. Yeah are right, the coaches have to make the decision, because Brunell isn't going to bench himself. What I don't understand is why Gibbs doesn't see this, it is almost like he doesn't want to be wrong when it comes to Brunell. Time will tell, hopefully Campbell will get his chance and soon.

Archived