Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Slateman

Well, time has passed now, and I have decided to give my opinions on the Redskins loss to the Vikings.

The Good

Clinton Portis - He played!!! And didn't seem to be favoring a shoulder!! Good sign

Antwan Randel El - I will admitt that I didn't like this signing. Well, I didn't like how much we payed for him. 5 catches for 39 yards (three of them for 1st downs) and he added a new dimension with his punt returns.

Ladell Betts - Nice punt return. He's really good at it

Sean Taylor - Nice to see that after the offseason he still remembers how to hit. :D

Warrick Holdman - He looked . . . decent :yikes:

Jamie Foxx - I liked him in the booth. Kick out TK and give Foxx the mic!!

The Bad

Clinton Portis - He only had 10 carries :( The game wasn't a blow out, why didn't he have more?

Ladell Betts - 8 carries for 22 yards. I can remember one solid run. Let's face it, the guy does not have what it takes.

Santana Moss - 3/69. Nice YPC, but half of it came on one play. This guy needs five touches a game.

The defense - Andre Carter was nonexistant in this game. And the defense looked tired in the second half, especially the Dline. I know that the Vikings have the best left side in football, but the skins got their teeth knocked in. Secondary didn't look so great either.

Chris Cooley - Mr. Cooley? Paging Mr. Cooley?

The officiating - It wasn't great. Didn't cost us the game though

The Ugly

The Redzone - Holy crap!! The Skins get the ball on the 4 yard line and we DON'T use Duckett? Why did we get him then!?!?!?! :mad: That was money in the bank. You hand it to Duckett and he gets you in. :doh:

The offensive playcalling - Saunders' playbook looked no different from last year except this one has a bunch of motion in it. whoopie, its 700 pages. I'd trade it for a 5 page one that scores more than 16 points. I mean, how do you not get the ball to Cooley? Has Tony Gonzalez gone a game w/o a catch ever? Ugh that was horrible to watch.

Sean Taylor - Yea, he can hit. Unfortunately, he plays out of control sometimes. Someone needs to explain to him the fact that you can't knock every guy out, every time!!

John Hall - 47 yards is makeable. Its far away, but its makeable. In fact, I think he's made that kick before. :mad:

The two that irk me the most are the lack of use of Duckett in the redzone and John Hall. These two right there cost us the game, IMO.

Sean Taylor is the kind of guy you are always glad is on your side. That facemask could easily have been a five yarder. The personal foul was a disgraceful call at a crucial time. He absolutely should knock guys out if they wear a different colored jersey. He definitely belongs under the good column, if only because there is no great option.

The play calling got the ball to Santana Moss with a catch that was dropped after a hit. The play calling also got us in a position to get into the redzone three times to close out the game.

The problem has been the limited talent of Mark Brunnel-fish. Sure, he doesn't lose the game for you, but he sure doesn't win the game for you either.

Good read.

Yeah, we were completely unbalanced on offense, calling 28 passes and only 18 runs...but I can't help but think that this was by design. We knew about the limited ability of CP, the inability of Betts, and the necessity for reps in the passing game, and subsequently, in the red zone...we got some looks last week, so as long as we can build on what we have offensively, we are in business.

Also, the best way to protect against the vulnerabiities in our secondary is to control the clock w/ our O.

The problem has been the limited talent of Mark Brunnel-fish. Sure, he doesn't lose the game for you, but he sure doesn't win the game for you either.

Look man, have some patience. I have never been on the Brunell-wagon; I lobbied for Ramsey when he was here, and I really want Campbell to get in there and make it happen. But the fact remains that we are not the coaches, and they think Mark is very capable. In fact, he is; he lead us to the playoffs last season, and that is proof enough. That was the 1st game for him of a brand new system. You could see when Mark understood the play, there was production. When he didn;t, he threw it away. Just take the time to allow some growing pains, b/c by December, this doubt will be ancient history.

Archived