Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What NFL Rules would you change?

pjfootballer

How did you know I was out of my mind? :D I wasn't saying that the QB's of today have it any easier than in Unitas' days. It IS true that they throw the ball more today, which makes more chances for them to get hurt, but just like you pointed out that the defenders run faster, hit harder and are in better shape, so to are Carson Palmer and Michael Vick as opposed to Unitas and Jurgenson.

I guess I didn't elaborate enough. I mean if you watch old films of that era, there were no penalties for late hits, blows to the head and some didn't even have face masks.

I bet if you asked one of the QB's from that time how much of a "tap" he received from Butkus, Nitschke, Doug Atkins or Deacon Jones, he'd tell you today's players could compare. Just some thoughts. You do have some very valid points that are well taken. It's hard to compare eras when the game has changed so much.

That's fair enough. I wasn't entirely clear, either. When I said "you gotta be out of your mind", I didn't mean you personally. I was mostly talking about other posters who either stated explicitly that QBs of days of yore had it tougher than today's QBs or who stated it implicitly with comments like QBs today "should take the skirt off." The "you" was supposed to be generic.

Anyway, the real concern I have is all of these people trying to volunteer offensive players, and QBs in particular, for more physical punishment, when I think they take more than enough already. And it's not just QBs - another poster said offensive players shouldn't be allowed to run out of bounds!

Not that I'm worried about the NFL going in the direction these people would want - if anything, it's going in the opposite direction. But the sadistic streak I'm seeing is disconcerting, to say the least, just in what it says about people in general. But we're heading towards tailgate territory, so I'll cut it off there...

Just wanted some opinions and feedback on any rules changes you'd like to see in the NFL that would make the game better. Here are a few of mine. You can comment on mine or come up with some of your own:

2) Let both teams have 1 possession in OT. Too much reliance on a simple coin flip. Let the clock run. If team 1 scores, let team 2 have a crack at it. if they fail, game over. Team 1 may score 3, but team 2 may score 7. After 1 score and still tied, do the same thing.

Amen to that. I hate the OT in the NFL its like if you win the coin flip you win the game outright. Unless of course if your name is Marty Morningwheg:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Archived