Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ramsey in fight for roster spot???

Hogskin1

Here is an item from the Fantasy Football Guys news scan:

Source: Dave Hutchinson, The Star Ledger

QB Chad Pennington remains the favorite to win the starting job entering training camp, but rookie Kellen Clemens could emerge as the backup. Although QB Patrick Ramsey was signed to a one-year extension, his roster spot is hardly guaranteed. QB Brooks Bollinger is also in the mix.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ OUR VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

This is pretty much how we see it although I'd be semi surprised to see Clemens at #2 at least early on. He's got lots of promise and everyone seems to love the guy, but he's not ready yet. And there isn't a #2 QB in the league that needs to be more ready than the guy playing behind Pennington.

Given the trade for Ramsey, the extension he signed, and Bollinger's ineffective play last year, I think it would take a very poor preseason performance by Ramsey for him to get cut. The Jets seem to have the standard setup of experienced starter (Pennington), decent veteran backup (Ramsey), and young guy to be groomed as a starter (Clemens), and Ramsey has experience and rapport with L. Coles.

Given the trade for Ramsey, the extension he signed, and Bollinger's ineffective play last year, I think it would take a very poor preseason performance by Ramsey for him to get cut. The Jets seem to have the standard setup of experienced starter (Pennington), decent veteran backup (Ramsey), and young guy to be groomed as a starter (Clemens), and Ramsey has experience and rapport with L. Coles.

To be honest, I think anything is possible with the Jets and their idiotic personnel management (Give away your head coach for a fourth round pick?). Bollinger is actually a half decent quarterback. The problem is that he's like 5 foot 2, and can't see (or throw) over his linemen. He is most successful if you call plays for him to roll out (much as he did most of the time in college). With a change in coaching regime, he might have a better shot, given how bad Jet playcalling has been in the last few years (Jets fans have been frustrated by how many times Offensive Coordinator Paul Hackett would call for an eight yard play on 3rd and 9.)

That said, I think Pennington is FINISHED. I don't know why the Jets are even wasting their time with him. If he wins the opening-day starter job, even as the incumbent, it's because everyone else is even worse in pre-season or because the coaching staff has their eyes closed--doubtful with Eric Mangini at the helm. Two rotator cuff injuries? QBs rarely come back from one.

IMHO, I think Ramsey is the Jets starter by week 5 if not by opening day. Half of the Jets O-line are rookies, and the QB position is due to take a serious pounding from opposing defenses. Nobody can handle it better than Ramsey, who is as tough as any QB in the league with taking hits in the pocket. Pennington will get injured again in the first month of the season, if he's not yanked first for underperformance. The Jets will probably start 0-4, and finish 4-12 if they get some breaks.

My prediction: Pennington will be stuck on IR early, Bollinger (if he's not already cut) will be kept around for the #2 spot, and Clemens will be the rookie project. The Jets don't need a "veteran backup" when the rest of the team sucks so bad. :laugh:

I am a die-hard Redskins fan, but the in-laws have season tickets to the Jets, so I've seen them play more than a few times.

Archived