Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

the calls against us

Murilo Bustamante

Originally posted by Art

Could well be Lurman. I know the muff rules are slightly different, but, I likewise have no real knowledge to back up the thought here.

I think the key difference, Art, is that a muffed punt is still a live ball until a player on one team or the other downs it. There is no whistle until that happens, no "down by contact".

When you give up 250 yards rushing, of course the refs aren't why you lost. I never said that.

But we *have* lost games because of the refs. One that sticks in my mind was the 98 opener, when we lost to the Midgets after Shar was called for effectively blocking Strahan (nullified a Skins' TD) and Darrell was called for nothing in order to nullify a Marvcus Patton INT and set up a Midgets' TD. That kind of two TD corrupt calling did affect the outcome of that game, as it has in many Midget games.

Like I said, historically, the Midgets and Cryboys get calls against us. And don't ask me- ask Gibbs and Casserly who pushed so hard for instant replay in the 80s (and a much more expanded version which would have allowed a lot more appeals NOT done by on-field refs).

But recently, it seems to have gotten even worse against us. We are like the league badguys, and our team management needs to take a carrot and stick approach to solving the problem.

Originally posted by Brave

Your previous thread was about poor officiating in general, Oakton. Not a bad thread even if I didn't agree with all of it. A lot of THIS thread has been about perceived injustices against the Redskins in particular. Conspiracy theories if you will. Sorry, but it comes off as a lot of whining to me. And I will NEVER whine about officiating as long as the Skins play ball the way they've played the last two weeks. That's my only point.

Well, I certainly agree with you in that the Redskins should play consistently well enough that penalties become a non-factor.

Archived