Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So how does Danny handle this one?

Larry Brown #43

Snyder had an impressive list of famous guests in his box at the game last night. He must have been mortified. He doesn't have a Norv to yell at anymore, so how does he vent his emotions? Spurrier would walk out the door and never come back if Snyder tried to yell at him. So what does he do? Not to say he doesn't deserve his fair share of the blame for this mess.

Originally posted by Larry Brown #43

Not to say he doesn't deserve his fair share of the blame for this mess.

???

About the only guy with a clean conscience should be Dan Snyder.

It's not his fault everyone's smartest defensive coordinator turns out to be doing more damage than good.

It's not his fault Spurrier's favorite QBs came up slim and none last night. (Snyder did draft a QB alternative.)

It's not his fault that Spurrier's hand-picked OL coach and the front office couldn't assemble an interior OL in eight months time.

It's not his fault Rasby and Royal are injured.

It's not his fault the world's smartest defensive coordinator couldn't get his great Raven players to come play for him again.

It isn't his fault doctors cleared Dotson and Gardener to play prior to their acquisitions.

It isn't his fault his best players on defense (LaVar, Champ, Smoot) are being smothered under the world's smartest defensive scheme.

It isn't his fault Marco Coleman refused to take a pay cut.

It isn't his fault a two-time Pro Bowl MLB isn't making an impact under the leadership of the world's smartest defensive coordinator.

It isn't his fault young safeties Terrell and Ohalete aren't developing under the world's smartest defensive coordinator.

It isn't his fault Conway got injured, then lied and said he was healthy.

Honestly, I can fault Snyder for only two things: firing Kurt Schottenheimer and overpaying for Trotter when the team had more pressing needs. But to be fair, both these moves looked smart at the time. How could hiring the world's smartest defensive coordinator not be smart?

Well, regarding Snyder; Didn't Marty have to drop a lot of talent and go cheap last year because of Snyder's profligate spending?Weren't they still suffering from the Neon man and Jeff George debacle this year? Aren't they the reason the team had salary cap problems that limited their moves? Cory Raymer (to name one) where are you? Is Mendes just a cheap skate with Snyder's money, or was he hamstrung by Snyder's past decisons?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Originally posted by Atlanta Skins Fan

About the only guy with a clean conscience should be Dan Snyder.

I'm not a Snyder-hater, but it's not Spurrier's fault that James Thrash, Shawn Barber and Brian Mitchell are now excelling for the enemy. Bringing in clowns like Deion, George, etc., made it difficult for us to resign our own nucleus. What Thrash, Barber and Mitchell all have in common is they all have the heart of a lion...unlike Jeff George and Deion. I know those regrettable acquisitions are old news by now, but they can't be overlooked when you assess the mess we're in. How much dead money do we have against our cap this year? Probably more than any other team in the league. Who's fault is that?

You guys are picking apart last year's news. We aren't a talent-poor team. In fact, we have more talent than the average team IMHO, and we certainly have more star potential, between Davis, Samuels, Jansen, Gardner, Arrington, Gardener, Wilkinson, Trotter, Armistead, Bailey and Smoot. And the holes we have on our team aren't any worse than the average team's. What's the problem here?

I think the point they are trying to make is that there is NO money for you to spend to attempt to plug the holes created from injury! the Eagles hav had several departure already this season and have filed those holes because of our cap management. We are still over 5 million under the cap and what ever does not become exhausted will be spent on Dawkins at the end of the trade deadline. these talks are in the works already.

Originally posted by phanatic

I think the point they are trying to make is that there is NO money for you to spend to attempt to plug the holes created from injury! the Eagles hav had several departure already this season and have filed those holes because of our cap management. We are still over 5 million under the cap and what ever does not become exhausted will be spent on Dawkins at the end of the trade deadline. these talks are in the works already.

I see.

So we weren't able to sign Daryl Gardener when Dotson went down.

For that matter, we couldn't sign Dotson when we lost Lang.

We couldn't bring in Stai when Jones went down.

We couldn't bring in Moore when Raymer left.

We couldn't bring in Tuthill when Conway went down.

We couldn't bring in Vickers to (attempt to) replace Szott, and to add depth.

We couldn't sign Green or Doering or Lockett or Anthony as FA's to revamp our WR corps.

We couldn't sign Armistead to replace Barber.

We couldn't augment our MLB spot by signing Trotter.

We couldn't sign Wynn to replace Coleman.

We couldn't sign Wuerffel and Matthews.

We couldn't re-sign Albright.

Yup, sure has been one inactive, cash-strapped offseason! :rolleyes:

Im sorry you are still feeling bitter about last night. the point is the redskins have about 500,000 for the rest of the season. And for you to list all those players dosnt prove a point. If you let people go you must sign someone to take there place. the point being you already had to RESTRUCTURE a contract to give yourself enough room to have the ability to sign a washed up kicker. And when you RESTRUCTURE contracts you are creating the very same problem you had before. look I'm not trying to get you fired-up over cap room. It is what it is. theres only so much money to spend and your depleted.

Originally posted by redman You guys are picking apart last year's news. We aren't a talent-poor team. In fact, we have more talent than the average team IMHO, and we certainly have more star potential, between Davis, Samuels, Jansen, Gardner, Arrington, Gardener, Wilkinson, Trotter, Armistead, Bailey and Smoot.
I'm not saying the Skins aren't talented. But sometimes cohesion and heart are more important than star power. If the Danny era has tought us anything, it has tought us that. If it were all based on star power, our spending spree of a few years ago would have paid major dividends. A football team simply can't cast off warriors like Thrash, Barber and Mitchell and replace them with prima donna "stars" like Deion & Company and expect to win.

Oh, to be a fly on the wall.......

It would be very interesting to see how Snyder/Spurrier/Lewis interact after this game and during the week. It doesn't take much imagination to guess there is going to be some friction.

I have to say that regardless of Synder's popularity, or lack thereof, he is entitled to some choice behavior inside the organization. If I spent as much money as him and got embarrassed as thoroughly as he did on MNF, well, let's just say I wouln't be a happy camper either......

Spurrier will deflect any criticism in his self-depracating way, but he is not the only one at fault in the MNF debacle and to a certain degree Snyder has to take some responsibility too. The mis-management early on in his ownership has left the Skins vulnerable in many different areas, particularly relating to player personnel and salary cap numbers. Hopefully he has learned from that and will not meddle too much.

If Synder has any real intelligence, despite his hopes and dreams, he realizes that Spurrier has taken "cheap and available" players and two games into the season has them playing .500 ball. I don't think you can legitimately ask for much more.

If Synder has any real intelligence, despite his hopes and dreams, he realizes that Spurrier has taken "cheap and available" players and two games into the season has them playing .500 ball. I don't think you can legitimately ask for much more.

I'm pretty sure these 'cheap and available' guys (at least the QBs) are the ones Spurrier wanted all along.

ThatGuy,

In relation to what you've quoted me on, the point is that there wasn't exactly a pre-existing reservoir of talent to be tapped into outside of Davis, Jansen, and Samuels. Nor could any talent be bought due to serious cap problems. Gardner is a good receiver, but not the prototype for Spurrier's system. Other than that, the whole offense is "cheap and available", including the QB's. Do you think if Spurrier had the oppurtunity to sign a truly elite NFL QB he would have passed? He never had the chance. He wanted Harrington as his young stud QB, but Synder wasn't willing to pay the price. Ramsey was not Spurrier's choice, and if he is a bust you can only point to Synder.

Generally speaking, with few exceptions, you get what you pay for. Spurrier probably felt he could overcome some of that, and he still might, but if last night's game taught us anything it is that we must be realistic. Spurrier is a good coach, not a miracle worker.

Archived