Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Allen's stock dropping

thebeast21

From espn.com

Rather than bolting to the NFL a year early, Tennessee DB Jason Allen returned to school for his senior season in 2005 hoping to solidify a spot in the top half of the first round of this year's draft. A tweener cornerback/free safety prospect, Allen was enjoying a successful season at cornerback before suffering a season-ending dislocated hip in Game 5 versus Georgia.

As expected, his stock immediately plummeted because of concerns about his durability. Allen was able to ease some of those concerns when he showed up healthy at the scouting combine and ran both his 40-yard dash attempts in the low 4.4-second range. At that point, NFL teams reportedly were viewing him as a first-round prospect again. However, Allen has since failed at least two physicals administered privately by NFL teams. With that news spreading like wildfire, Allen's stock is declining again, and it wouldn't be surprising to see the 6-foot-1, 209-pound defensive back slip to the middle of the second round -- or even beyond that point.

Would be an awesome pick up in the 2nd round because he could play both positions...

Living in Knoxville and being a rabid Tennesse fan, i havef ollowed Jason since he was a freshman. He is an outstanding corner. He moved to safety his junior year because of the lack of depth there. Moved back to corner his senior year. All conference at both corner and safety in his 4 years.Hard hitting, solid upstanding guy. The hip is good. I saw him run a sub 4.4 at pro day here. He would be a great pickup

I think we can take that kind of risk because we're not expecting him to start immediately, where other teams are under pressure to take a guy that can be an immediate contributor to the team. We kind of experienced that ourselves last year, as many fans initially declared Carlos Rogers a "bust" because he didn't start immediately, & then got injured. Just because he couldn't pass 2 physicals right now doesn't mean he's permamently damaged goods for the future.

Obviously, we would have him thoroughly examined to make sure this isn't going to cause problems in the future (After all, we're not the Nationals. :laugh: ), but I could see it working out to our advatage. I do hope we get a 4th saftey, backup guard & another LB to throw into the mix by the time training camp rolls around, but we're in much better shape personnel-wise than much of the rest of the league.

Archived