Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did CP's restructure happen?

thebeast21

Thats what i thought because if I recall the website said if he did restructure then he would be a free agent when he was 27, which means he will want a monster contract.
CP already has a monster contract. I think he may actually be the highest paid back in the league (he is at least very close to it).

That restructure where he would become a FA early didn't happen because the CBA was extended. I believe they likely guaranteed his roster bonus which allows them to prorate it just before the start of the cap year in order to get under the cap. They didn't need his permission to do that and his salary was already minimum level for 06 so they couldn't gain any cap space by guaranteeing it. They didn't need Springs permission to guarantee his roster bonus again because his salary was already minimum level. Washington and Griffen had above minimum level salaries so their roster bonuses were guaranteed and the amount of salary above minimum was also guaranteed and prorated and the NFLPA databank confirms that has happened.

The next likely targets are Jansen and Thomas who may be approached to do simple restructures to create another 5M of cap space. If this happens the 07 cap hits for Portis Springs and Jansen will be over 7M apiece and the cap hits for Washington Griffen and Thomas will be over 6M apiece. Throw in Samuels who already has an 8.9M cap number in 07 and Brunell who has a 6.6M cap hit in 07 and the team will have 8 players with 6M+ cap hits in 07 and the only one of the group that won't be at least 30 at the end of 07 is Portis.

That restructure where he would become a FA early didn't happen because the CBA was extended. I believe they likely guaranteed his roster bonus which allows them to prorate it just before the start of the cap year in order to get under the cap. They didn't need his permission to do that and his salary was already minimum level for 06 so they couldn't gain any cap space by guaranteeing it. They didn't need Springs permission to guarantee his roster bonus again because his salary was already minimum level. Washington and Griffen had above minimum level salaries so their roster bonuses were guaranteed and the amount of salary above minimum was also guaranteed and prorated and the NFLPA databank confirms that has happened.

take it from one of our resident capologists. Definitely makes sense now, mainly the part that the team doesnt need permission to convert roster bonus into signing bonus which is pro-rated.

So has it only been Marcus Washington that agreed to convert some salary into signing bonus so far? I think Wynn was one as well.

Archived