Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nfl.com article about 1st round of draft

Dirk Diggler

Perhaps it's not such a big deal that we won't have a 1st rounder?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9272044

Is the draft logic starting to shape up?

By Pat Kirwan

NFL.com Senior Analyst

INDIANAPOLIS (Feb. 27, 2006) -- The draft is two months away, and a lot of things will change along the way. But I did ask a number of club executives and coaches what their impressions of the draft class was at this point in the process. Remember the old adage: "You can only make a first impression once." Well, the Combine is the first impression for many of the 300-plus participants.

I got three strong opinions from people who sat through countless hours of evaluations, interviews and discussions with their staff members, and there is a pattern of opinion that is worth mentioning and a plan that should follow -- if the impression of this draft holds water a month from now.

One GM got the ball rolling for me as I sat in the stands with him during the workouts and said, "This draft class looks like it will not have more than 15 players with a real first-round grade." I ran that concept by another team's personnel director and his response wasn't much different, but it had a plan behind it. He said, "I would love to have four picks between 33 and 60." The third guy I spoke with was a head coach whose team has a way to go, and he felt there were only a handful of difference makers and wants very much to move down in the draft, or as he said, "Way down and get some extra guys to build up the core of this team." I proceeded to watch the workouts and interview players all weekend with an eye on the concept of second-round players who could be great bargains...

Archived