Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DP: Short receivers can fit

bubba9497

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-78117sy0feb26,0,4506676.story?coll=dp-sports-local

click link for entire article

Short receivers can fit

BY MICHAEL C. WRIGHT

February 26, 2006

INDIANAPOLIS -- Thanks to guys like Steve Smith and Santana Moss, short receivers in the NFL are as trendy as sports coats worn with jeans and tennis shoes.

Both shorter than 6 feet, Smith and Moss burned NFL defenses this past season for more than 1,000 receiving yards apiece.

Sinorice Moss (5-foot-8) now figures it's his turn. At least that's what he hopes to show coaches this week during NFL scouting combine workouts at the RCA Dome.

"In the past, everybody wanted a bigger receiver," said Moss, a former University of Miami standout and younger brother of Washington Redskins receiver Santana Moss.

"Watching my brother and Steve Smith this year, they opened a lot of coaches' eyes. They showed that smaller receivers make the big plays and do the things the 6-2 receivers can. Hands down, it's not even an issue about your size."

Most Valuable Player at this year's Senior Bowl after catching three passes for 45 yards and a touchdown, Moss is considered by draft analysts as one of the top five receivers available.

The top three receivers entering the draft - Ohio State's Santonio Holmes, Florida's Chad Jackson and Arizona State's Derek Hagan - are taller than 5-10. But keep in mind that six receivers under 6 feet finished 2005 with 1,000-yard receiving seasons.

Moss finished his senior season at Miami with 37 catches for 614 yards and six TDs, which pales in comparison to big brother Santana's numbers with the Hurricanes. Moss' best performances this past season came against Duke, Colorado and Temple, which raises doubts in the eyes of some NFL scouts.

But Redskins offensive coordinator Don Breaux says he sees a lot of Santana in Sinorice.

"I was watching the Senior Bowl film and saw him catch a touchdown pass," Breaux said. "It was that same great adjustment to the ball (like Santana Moss) on a ball that was thrown over his head and to the outside. He reached at the last second to catch it."

Sinorice Moss says he speaks often with Santana about the prospects of being drafted by the Redskins.

"I'm sure there would be a lot of publicity and a lot of talk about it, two brothers on the same team," Moss said.

Sinorice Moss says he speaks often with Santana about the prospects of being drafted by the Redskins.

"I'm sure there would be a lot of publicity and a lot of talk about it, two brothers on the same team," Moss said.

Well i for one would love it...i mean he mite be a bust...but lets give him a chance...what round is he projected to go in?? Anyone that fast is bound to stretch a defense. Unlike JT....

<B>

sounds cool, but the brother rivalry can be a very good thing or a very bad thing</B>

no one wants to be in their brother's shadow their whole career, atleast that's how I see it

Yer i think i saw an interview with Sinorice saying that...but it would be so cool, and imagine defences having to double team santana, and that opening up room for sinorice...or vica versa

Archived