Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Semi-OT: CFL considering rule change

gridironmike

This reminds me of the Arena Football rule requiring teams to gain positive yardage in the final minute.

From KFFL:

CFL | League pondering interesting rules change

Tue, 21 Feb 2006 07:58:08 -0800

Perry Lefko, of the Toronto Sun, reports the Canadian Football League is considering a rule change to prevent teams from punting balls out of bounds between the 20-yard lines. CFL director of officiating George Black would not go into the specifics of the rule change other than to say it's to encourage the kicking team to put the ball in play instead of deliberately angling for the sidelines. Black noted the proposal has stipulations that allow for the ball to bounce in play before going out of bounds and to be kicked out of bounds in the air inside the 20-yard lines.

Any opinions?

the proposal has stipulations that allow for the ball to bounce in play before going out of bounds and to be kicked out of bounds in the air inside the 20-yard lines.

Any opinions?

How else, besides bouncing out and going out in the air, would a ball go out of bounds?

How else, besides bouncing out and going out in the air, would a ball go out of bounds?

I think you missed the point. The rule won't allow you to kick a ball out of bounds in the air between the twenties. I don't think a lot of coaches would want that anyway, but some might to keep a dangerous return man from fielding a punt inside the 50 (or 55 in Canada). They are trying to keep the ball in play, which in the NFL would keep the clock running for a few extra seconds (unless fair caught). I just thought it was an interesting rule to consider.

Archived