Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

One to watch in the draft.

feeshta

Looking through the senior bowl coverage at ESPN.com I came across an article on a player I found interesting.

Garrett Mills, TE, Tulsa. 6'1" 240 pounds.

The article concerned his conversion from TE to fullback to try to make it into the NFL given his obvious handicap as a TE. Reading the article though, this guy just stood out as a player we could use, and pretty much that guy they were hoping to find in the later rounds last year when they drafted Manuel White. He was a remarkably effective receiver in college. He was listed as a TE, but he lined up at TE, in the slot, at FB, wherever they could get a mismatch. Sound familiar? He had 13 catches for 152 yards against Oklahoma. His most remarkable attribute is his mind though, as his coaches rave about his ability to pick up and execute gameplan material, even during the course of a game.

This could be our backup for Cooley, what White was hoped to be, and a guy we could use as a situational player or more as well. Think about this. You put both Cooley and Mills in, along with the normal compliment of Portis, Moss, and whoever becomes our #2 receiver. What can the defense tell about your intentions from that personnel package? Not much. You could motion all over the place, and with two guys who can block or receive from at least three different postions on the field, the options are myriad. He should be a later round pick due to his situation, and I think he could definately help this team. People putting too much emphasis on measurables could work to our favor here by letting us pick this guy up at a steal of a price.

What do you guys think?

Oh, and I know we have other issues that demand attention that many want to spend our later picks on such as O-line depth. A valid concern, but I think this may offer a better value overall to the team.

i wouldn't mind having this guy around, but i don't see this happening. we don't really need another h-back type player, and if we did draft another TE/H-back, i bet we'd be more likely to pick up marcedes lewis in the 2nd or 3rd round. Besides, lewis would be perfect to replace Royal if we dont resign him, while i dont think mills would fit that role as an every down TE.:2cents:

Hope you dont mind me posting this here,but i thought id try to keep this stuff all on one thread. I ran across this guy,what do you guys think?.............Position DE School N C State Status Senior Ht 6ft6in Wt245lbs 40 Time 4.7 Positives..A quick pass rusher,Manny Lawson has great size and speed. A sack machine,he is physically gifted and does a great job of using that athleticism to blow through the line.Lawson has great experience and has faced very talented offensive lines in the ACC. He has a very long reach and elusive quick frame. Lawson alsois very effective blocking kicks and punts. Negatives...Lawson has definitely benefited from playing on the oppisite end from Mario Williams, could add some bulk if he wishes to play DE in the pros but has the frame to do so:helmet: :helmet: :helmet:

I thought he had been on here before. Did a seach but came up empty. I must have misspelled the name or something when I tried the search, because now there's like six posts with mention of him that come up.

Sorry bout that. But seriously, I don't understand the anger over seeing the name again when it was a while ago, and is probably on about page 16 by now. Message boards are just like that, it's a fact of life here.

It depends on where we are able to take him. If he is available late on the 2nd day we would be foolish to pass on this guy. Having a guy that reminds people of Chris Cooley can't be a bad thing. It will also depend on what possitions we are able to address in free agency. If we are able to get a #2 WR and a DE in free agency then our needs in the draft change some what. I would still like to see the Skins draft and develope a young DE, but we could use later picks on OL depth and playmakers.

We already have back ups for Cooley in M. Sellers and Manuel White Jr. , But for him to challenge for Royals job or Kozlowski, now you're talking. H-back is different than TE.:logo::logo:

Sellers has his own particular niche in the offense, and it's not really backing up Cooley. He'd be more likely to backup Royal actually, as he just isn't quite fast enough for Cooleys role. White has been a disappointment, and has shown no evidence that he will ever learn the position to an acceptable level. Koslowski is supposed to be Cooleys backup, but that is a major dropoff for a position that is pretty important to the team. They tried to ditch Koz last season when they brought in White, but couldn't find anybody better and had to bring him back when White was injured.

Royal was acceptable this year, aside from the one game, but we could use a quality backup there. Mills is not that guy, as he is simply too small. But if Mills is available late in the draft, I think we would be stupid to pass on him.

Here's another one I sincerely believe could end up a Redskin.....Devin Hester in Rd. 3. He's in dire need of some good coaching (which we have in abundance) but he could fill a lot of presumed major needs including PR/KR, developmental CB, or possibly even WR. That would be a great area to role the dice on a player with his caliber of talent, if teams don't get too wrapped up in his workouts, which figure to be sick, and pick him earlier than he should be based on what he actually accomplished at the U. You know the other UM boys are going to be in the staff's ear about this guy, too. Adding a few more Hurricane's in this draft wouldn't be a bad thing, actually....Sinorice Moss, Orien Harris (DT), Hester to name a few.

Archived