Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Need help with how TV stations choose to air which games

MikeB

I live outside of Philly and naturally get all the Eagles games. I am trying to figure out how many Skins games I am guaranteed to see (bummer the MN is against Philly, as I get to see the two Philly games regardless) and which games I have an outside chance to see.

If I recall, there was a weird rule where if the Eagles played a 1:00 game and it was home, there is no 4:00 NFC game. I am not quite sure how this worked -- maybe it's if they play a 1:00 game there is no 4:00 game period? Can anyone help me out?

***ALSO***

I am debating the Ticket. BTW, you CAN just get the ticket, but you have to buy your satellite equipment. So the whole package is like $280 for year one. I have heard that DirecTV's contract is up with the NFL after this year. Anyone know what is to happen next year?

Thanks in advance.

There is not a 4 PM Broadcast on doubleheader weekends for any station that carries a home game broadcast for a local team at 1 PM -- you are correct, and this is a general rule.

I really don't know why that is, although my guess would be that it forces viewers to occasionally watch a game on the other network so that the local affiliate of the network that doesn't have the home conference (CBS in DC, for example) won't get screwed by having no one ever watch a game on their station.

Out here in New Mexico, the llocal stations have contracts with the Broncos and Cowgirls, so if they are a day game, they are guaranteed to be on. Fox and CBS alternate doubleheaders week to week, so we'll usually have just one game other than those and it is up to whichever station has the doubleheader. They are a bunch of dicks and they always choose the Packers. If by chance the Broncos and/or Cowgirls play either Sunday Night or Monday night, there is a chance I'll get the Redskins game just because they prefer NFC East teams out here it seems. The thing is they never post the info until like the day before the games, so I got tired of it and just decided to either go to a friend's house with NFL Ticket or head to the Sports Bar. Gotta get there first person in the door to get ya a seat, some coffee, and guaranteed Redskins on the closest TV.

** They don't start serving beer here till Noon on Sundays.

Know the feeling. Gotta be at the bar no later than 12:00 just to make sure I get control of a set. Then I gotta sit there nervous as all get out waiting, and waiting, and waiting....

Last year blew because the first few games where over before they started, and I just sat there dumbfounded after having planned my whole day around the game.

There are 6 Redskins games that will be nationally televised this year. I really think that all of us that are outside of the home viewing area should really count our blessings for this. Anyway, here's the list:

9/16 - PHI @ WAS (Monday Night Football/ABC)

9/22 - WAS @ SF (FOX Nationally Televised Double Head Game)

10/20 - WAS @ GB (FOX Nationally Televised Double Head Game)

10/27 - IND @ WAS (Sunday Night Football/ESPN)

11/24 - STL @ WAS (FOX Nationally Televised Double Head Game)

11/28 - WAS @ DAL (Thanksgiving/FOX)

As for the non-nationals; it's up to your local affiliate. Most choose the game they feel most people would want to see (Steelers in Philly when the Eagle's aren't playing?). This explains why you see most of the Ravens games on 9. I know the Chicago FOX affiliate lets people vote on it, either web or phone I guess.

The best option for us to NFL Sunday Ticket. The cost and the fact that many apartments don't allow DirecTV doesn't help that much. Sports Bars and the Geographically Challenged forum are the only other options I can think of.

The '1 game' rule started in the 70's when Pete Rosell was the NFL commissioner. Owners like Joe Robbie (Miami) tried to force fans to the home games by blacking out the local broadcast if the games were not sold out. Fans complained and Congress stepped in. A compromise was formed which in effect states that

A) Home games will be televised if the game is sold out 72 hours before kickoff.

B) If a home game starts at 1:00 there will be no 4:00 game/ If a home game starts at 4:00 there will be no 1:00 game/ in the same media market (TV Channel).

C) The blackout rule will extend to 200 miles from the home team's stadium.

When I lived in Texas (both Dallas and Austin), they usually showed lots of NFC East games when the 'Girlz were on Monday night or the AFC network. So I actually could watch a lot of Skins on the local channels. However, personally, I think it is more fun to go watch with a local Redskins fan organization at a bar. I sort of view Skins' football as a semi-social activity (here, I watch with my family) and I think it is more fun to watch with people who are also happy when the Skins score and p.o.d when Norv calls another draw play on 3rd and 15.

Canyonero,

I won't see all those games, and I suspect many others won't, because of the this threads discussed NFL rule. For example, I won't see the Sept. 22ng game because the Eagles have a home game vs Dallas at 1:00. Same for the Green Bay game, Eagles play at home that day.

Bummer.

So for those of us in DC, is the game on at 1 on fox this weekend? I need to set up my VCR.

I finally have time to head to the beach this weekend. My plan is to listen to cd's all the way home so I won't know the outcome when I get home on Sunday night. Of course, I know what is going to happen. I'll be good all the way home only listening to cd's just ot have some guy in my appartment elevator with a Skins cap and either a big smile or big mopey look :doh:

Originally posted by Canyonero!

The best option for us to NFL Sunday Ticket. The cost and the fact that many apartments don't allow DirecTV doesn't help that much. Sports Bars and the Geographically Challenged forum are the only other options I can think of.

Based on a January 1999 FCC ruling, apartments cannot deny a tenant access to satellite tv. As long as you have a Southern exposure, you're allowed to have a dish. The only caveat being that they can restrict permanent fixture of a dish. I.e., you may not be allowed to mount it to the building. But there are ways around that.

Some of the most memorable Redskin games I have watched have been at sports bars. When you sing "hail to the Redskins" with complete strangers, there is no better feeling. There are great Redskin fans all over the country and the great part is that you will find them in almost every single sports bar, no matter what state or how far from D.C. you are! From my experience...and probably thanks to me...Redskin fans seem to have the most passion and make the most noise. I would rate Brown fans second and Eagle fans third.

Dude, you ain't singing "Hail to the Redskins" and making it out of the bar in one piece up here in Philly. The bar is packed with Eagle fans and if they happen to be losing the game at the time, well, let's just say it wouldn't be a wise idea to cheer like that if you have loved ones who depend on you.

The nice thing about the bar (The Trappe) that I go to is it has a huge upstairs. Most Eagle fans crowd the downstairs and the rest of us head upstairs to grab a set. If your good, you usually get to watch the entire game in peace. If your real early, you get the sound too. But alas, would rather be watching the 61" in the peace and comfort of my living room.

Based on a January 1999 FCC ruling, apartments cannot deny a tenant access to satellite tv. As long as you have a Southern exposure, you're allowed to have a dish. The only caveat being that they can restrict permanent fixture of a dish. I.e., you may not be allowed to mount it to the building. But there are ways around that.

Kurp, I'm open for suggestions. The communists that run my apartment complex will not allow us to put up a dish. The front side of our building faces south, so it is easily visible. My only idea was to mount the dish in my bedroom or the kitchen and have it face out the window...but the dishes are rather large and it would look really strange. Any ideas how I can get around this?

local teams will always be aired, unless its a home game and the game is not sold out ...out here in LA, we do get the benefit of a lot of double headers, but we also have to put up with the infuriating fact that they don't always air the Skins. For instance, this Sunday at 10am they will air the Bears/Vikings instead...

Originally posted by TheKurp

True, but not everyone's apartment windows/patios/balcanys face the correct direction (South East?).

But my situation is different. My apartment complex has a giant dish for community wide DirecTV access. We get all the channels they decide we should get, and it comes through the wall like a normal (non-Digital) cable signal would. I can get my own DirecTV reciever and pay a nominal fee to use their sat, but most of the deals DirecTV has are for complete systems, which means I'd have to pay for a mini-dish I'd never use.

In addition, DirecTV generally requires a year or more contract. Apartment dwellers average something like 14 months in their apartment before they move, making it not exactly cost-effective if you might be moving.

Archived