Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SB XVII/XVIII WashPost Articles

jdfountain

Oh the memories. The best of times and the worst of times. It seems so far in the past, yet so near to becoming a reality once more. Superbowls!!!! HTTR :point2sky

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/longterm/1997/history/allart/super82.htm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/longterm/1997/history/allart/xviii.htm

Thanks for posting the links to the past. :point2sky

It got me thinking. I remembered that I was interviewed at the 1984 game during half time. Many of my friends told me they saw my name in the Washington Post; unfortunately I was traveling a lot back then and never saw the article until you jogged my memory.

So I did a search and low and behold, I finally found it. http://proquest.umi.com/pdf/c746d93b9e4f780d33881468a1d231fd/1137815845/share2/pqimage/hnirs3/20060120222724936/7250/out.pdf

Theisman had thrown an interception just before halftime. I ran down the ramp to grab another beer when the reporter stopped me and asked what I thought about the game. At first I thought she was a hooker, but she showed me her credentials (wink, wink) ;) and I talked to her.

Anyhow, I'm the guy in the third paragraph.

Thanks for helping me remember 22 years later; much appreciated. :point2sky

Wow, I read the last link article, and I got depressed!

Yeah, if a few key players hadn't been out past 4:00 am the night before, we would have rolled over the Raiders.

It was a pretty depressing day. But what the heck, we were in the Super Bowl. I bet you would take us being in the big game today.

This is probably why Gibbs is so conservative at teh end of halves and games...

The Redskins' offense was struggling. Gibbs opted not to run out the clock. He opted not to throw deep, perhaps since cornerback Hayes stood 45 yards downfield, protecting against the big play.

Instead, Theismann dropped back into the end zone and threw a swing pass to running back Joe Washington in the flat.

The ball never reached Washington. Squirek leaped in front of him at the five-yard line for the interception, then ran into the end zone for the 21-3 touchdown.

Later came Gibbs' reasoning: "With 23 second (actually 12) left in the half, you have two choices: you can either fall on the ball or try to get something . . . I wanted to run something safe. It got us a 67-yard gain in the first game (against the Raiders). I was hoping we'd get 20 or 30 yards and maybe get a field goal . . .I didn't like the idea of falling on the ball."

He used to gun it, 22 years and he still cant forget it :(

Yeah, if a few key players hadn't been out past 4:00 am the night before, we would have rolled over the Raiders.

It was a pretty depressing day. But what the heck, we were in the Super Bowl. I bet you would take us being in the big game today.

if we won that game... we would have been the team of the Decade and Art Monk, Russ Grimm, Joe Jacoby, and Joe Theisman woulda been HOFers... real talk

Thanks for posting the links to the past. :point2sky

WOW,.....How did you manage to find that? Bad subject, but great read :applause:

Your post gave me the date. I did a search at the Washington Post with my name. Found the article. Pretty incredible. I'm on a nostalgic high right now.

Archived