Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poker games

Yomar

Thought I'd pick the collective Extremeskin brain for some good poker games. I play with some guys who have some crazy games, I don't really know any of my own, so if someone can give me a few I can break out at the next poker night I'd be much obliged.

The group I play with plays a lot of crazy games ... most of which I don't like. However, one winner is "Extended High/Low." Here's how it goes:

Deal 7-card stud, nothing wild. After the 7th card players will pick up their hands and play their best 5 cards going either high or low, putting the other 2 cards to the side. You save your other 2 cards because you can use them in case you can go both. Now you play showdown with everyone flipping a card at the same time and betting between each flip. After flipping 4 of your 5 cards you will declare "high", "low" or "both" beginning at the dealer's left and going around the table.

- Pot is split between the highest and lowest hands.

- Aces are high or low.

- Pots are HUGE because of the amount of bets.

- Enjoy!

My buddies and I play a lot of Texas Hold'Em. It's the game they played in the movie 'Rounders':

Each player gets 2 cards -- followed by a round of betting

Three Cards are turned up on the Table -- Another round of betting

Then two more cards are turned up - a round of betting after each - for a total of five cards on the table.

You make the best five card hand you can with your two cards and the five on the table.

One way we usto vary a regular 5 card hand was to add what we called Mexican (not sure why it was called that). What we did is whoever was left at the end would flip one card at a time and bet after each card. Its really good for people who like to bluff as you can show your 4 of a straight flush as the first cards and scare someone off. We would also play another game were you are dealt 5 cards but only pick up the first 4. the 5th lies face down. you do your drops and betting. then at the end of it all you pick up your 5th card and have one last round of betting. Tie this in to playing a low hand and it can really change things up.

Texas Hold 'em is THE official card game of Poker. It's what they play at the World Championship of Poker at Binion's in Vegas every year.

It's a great game ... probably the best ... but newbies and will quickly tire of no wild cards and actually having to know what to hold and fold. :)

Right on Brave. We play dealer's choice, but usually end up playing nothing but hold em all night. :cool:

High/low is a good one too, but you often end up splitting the pot, and who wants that. :)

You can also play other variations of 7-card like

High hand/high or low spade in the hole

Follow the Lady: Any card that comes up after a Queen is a wildcard.

Pass the trash (works best with seven players) -- You get seven cards down and (after a round of betting) pass any three, then two, then one.

Though I can't say I'm a huge fan of any of those really.

a lot of those sound familiar to me. and most are ok by me, but there is this one game called 3-2-1 drop that is both stupid and dangerous that I just hate. I don't think its even real poker, but what you do is there are 3 rounds, the first round you get 3 cards, the second round 2 cards and the last round 1 card. If you think you have a good "hand" (don't know if you can call holding one card a "hand", you hold the card, otherwise on the count of 3 you drop it. Best "hand" wins, anyone else that held their card has to match the pot...thats where it can get pretty ugly. But the kicker is that it is the game that never ends...the only way to end the game is if only one person holds his "hand" when only one card is dealt, otherwise you have someone(s) that has to match the pot and you go back to three cards...it sucks, it takes no skill, and it invariably ends up taking forever and costing people a lot of money.

I'm not a particularly good poker player, but I still prefer games like plain old seven card stud or Texas hold em to party games and lots of wildcards. I find it's usually best to pick one game and stick to it all night. Otherwise it's real tough to feel out the other players and get an idea of what they bet strong on, when they bluff and what they'll fold, which is the way poker really should be played.

If you are looking for a game of pure luck and a chance to win or lose a lot of money real quick, drop em is the way to go. :) But that's really just a matter of deciding what a hold/drop hand is and playing the percentages. If you just go through the entire deck without reshuffling it can be a good excersize in counting cards, but that's about it. Depends on what you're looking for.

Archived