Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Breaking News: SWAT Team Shoots Armed Fla. 8th-Grader

Commander PK

SWAT Team Shoots Armed Fla. 8th-Grader By KELLI KENNEDY, Associated Press Writer

37 minutes ago

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060113/ap_on_re_us/school_evacuated

LONGWOOD, Fla. - An eighth-grader was shot and wounded by a SWAT team officer in a school bathroom Friday after he pulled out a pellet gun that resembled a real weapon, authorities said.

He was shot after raising the gun at deputies.

Seminole County Sheriff Don Eslinger said the 15-year-old boy brought the gun to Milwee Middle School in his backpack. Eslinger said two students saw it and one persuaded the other to report it, causing a scuffle.

The alleged gunman told one of the students to go into a closet, ran from the classroom and "traveled with this firearm throughout the campus," Eslinger said. Deputies eventually isolated him in a restroom, and the school was evacuated.

"At one time he held the gun to his neck. As the deputies attempted to establish dialogue, he raised the firearm and lethal force was used by the sheriff's office," Eslinger said.

The boy was taken to the hospital, where he was on "advanced life support" Friday afternoon, Eslinger said.

"He was suicidal," Eslinger said. "During this standoff, and during the chase, the student said he was going to kill himself or die."

No one else was injured. The sheriff's office confirmed later that the weapon was a pellet gun fashioned to look like a 9mm handgun.

Classes were canceled for the rest of the day, and frantic parents arrived to pick up their children.

"When I saw the news, I just couldn't believe this was my daughter's school. I came right away," said Anil Santos, whose daughter, Aleister, is in eighth grade.

Sarah Tivy, 12, said some students were frightened, but she appeared calm.

"I just figured that if someone is going to bring a gun to school, then they need to be taken out of school," she said.

Yeah, it was a pellet gun according to the above link. They said it was fashioned to look like a 9mm. Not to hard to do. It looks to me like the kid was trying to do the old "suicide by cop" deal.

Yeah, it looked exactly like a 9mm Beretta. Sad, very sad.

WFTV.com - Home

This site has video with the actual pellet gun he held up compared to a Beretta.

Well, I can tell you that I carry a Beretta 96D, and this kid did one heck of a job on that pellet gun. Unless you really get a excellent look at the gun up close, it's impossible to tell. This Pellet gun already looks similar to a Beretta to begin with, with the barrell protruding from the slide as shown.

Archived