Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

They Can Do Better, Can't They?

Dark Herald

I just wanna say that I'm proud to announce that I have been a big fan of the Washington Redskins ever since I first paid attention to football in 1989. And I also believe that Joe Gibbs is the greatest coach around.

However, there is something I need to get off my chest. I was NOT happy with one element of that playoff game between Washington and Tampa Bay: the refusal to consistently double-team Simeon Rice. Yeah, there's no doubt that Chris Samuels is an excellent offensive tackle. He is strong and athletic, but Simeon Rice, a phenomenal player in his own right, completely outplayed Chris Samuels yesterday.

In the last meeting between Tampa and Washington, the controversial 36-35 game, Simeon Rice dominated in that first half. The main reason that you did not hear as much from him in the second half of the game is because Joe Gibbs was smart enough, as he usually is, to double-team Simeon and give Chris Samuels help. But for some reason, in this game, Joe decided to allow Samuels to block Simeon Rice alone. The result was Redskins fans everywhere, especially me, pulling their hair out and screaming in frustration at how nothing was being done to neutralize the outstanding pass-rushing force that Simeon Rice is.

Tampa Bay has one of the greatest defenses in all the NFL, so I should not complain too much about Washington's offensive inefectiveness (they did win, after all). But I can't help but have issues with this ugly coaching error by one of the greatest offensive innovators in football. I have always taken pride in Gibbs' ability to keep his quarterbacks protected. That's why I'm ranting now. Our precious Skins squeaked by an awesome Buccaneers team, and I blame Gibbs himself because he knows better than to put his quarterback at risk. Did he leave Samuels out on an island in order to have more people for Mark Brunell to throw to in those shotgun plays (I hate shotgun!)? Was it a matter of pride for Chris Samuels, wanting to take it upon himself to protect his quarterback and refusing help from another player? Both possibilities are inexcusable! I don't care what anyone says. I don't care about more offensive options. I don't care about pride. When a lineman is getting beat like Samuels was, he needs help! It's that simple.

Now it could have been any lineman, so I'm not implying that Samuels is ineffective by any stretch of the imagination (If you're reading this, Chris, I still think you're awesome). Jon Jansen had trouble with defensive end Jared Allen in the Skins' loss to Kansas City, after all. Jon Runyan is a Pro Bowl-caliber right tackle, but he would get totally outplayed by Michael Strahan. No matter how good a player is, there's another one who's better. It's the coach's job to take note of such an error and correct the mistake with an adjustment, like he should have done more often with the Chris Samuels vs. Simeon Rice matchup (I saw Rice double-teamed ONCE!).

I've seen Joe Gibbs coached teams survive some of the nastiest pash rushes there are (Remember Reggie White and the Philadelphia Eagles front four?). They could have totally neutralized that pass rush and given Brunell more time to make proper passing decisions (By the way, Mark Brunell had my vote for Comeback Player of the Year). The Washington offensive production was pitiful, and I firmly believe that it could have been a bit more effective (despite Clinton Portis' heartbreaking injury woes) if more focus was placed on protection, protection, protection!

As I said before, I still believe Joe Gibbs is the best. It's the little things he does, like using up all the play clock time to retain possession of the football and putting receivers and H-backs in motion to keep opposing defenses guessing. Defenses are a bit more wary of the Counter-Trey and that makes me wanna cry (I always loved that running play), but he still manages to get good effort and discipline from his players. That's why I can't help but complain about the errors, such as the one I've been ranting about all through this post, that can easily be corrected. It's because I'm a fan and because I'm so appreciative of what the man brings to the game of football that I express disappointment.

My heart says that the Skins can get to the Super Bowl, because the other teams out there aren't much better (They can beat Seattle, darn it!). My brain, however, shows me that this season may come to a merciful halt next weekend. If there's anyone out there who can make me feel better about things, please don't hesitate to respond.

^ lol

don't worry man...Gibbs isn't dumb...he's not blind. He saw exactly what we saw and he thought he could do a good enough job. Samuals wasn't bad at all...It's just that Simeon makes everyone look bad so there's not much people can do about that...he's an awesome player and you give him props

BUT who won? Simeon didn't win...Samuels won adn that's what matters!!!

Thanks laura, you beat me to it ... twice, apparently ...

Hoo saw the Giants lay a fat egg today ... the same team that, at one point, led the league in scoring? the same team that made our "vaunted" defense look like a Pac-10 squad?

Yes you hate to see the team come out flat in such an important game, but, to quote laura, "it's one game" ...

And Gibbs looked more than comfortable sitting on a lead w/ our D and TB's young O (could've come out wrong) ... I don't think he'd do that against the Hawks

HAIL

I can't help you feel better. Unfortunately, the offense is gone.

The 35, 35 and 31 points they scored against Dallas, NY, then Philly was a fluke.

Sorry.

RF4L - you are an idiot. I'm ashamed to share fanship with a dope like you. The Redskins offense ranks 11th in the league, and #1 in red zone offense. To top it off, they had the 2nd toughest schedule in the NFL. I think our offense is pretty darn good, but just could not get in a groove at Tampa Bay. The Bucs did a great job, as a #1 defense should.

Do us a favor, go jump to the Cowgirls side - we don't need fools like you.

This thread is home to more stunning examples of fandom.

RFL makes an OBVIOUS joke (though he misrepresents those point totals--that was the D giving the O a short field and a couple of bombs where Moss did the work) and he gets called all kinds of names by some NOOB who can't grasp basic humor.

This isn't about football, this is about the lack of reading comprehension and/or refined senses of humor that cannot pick up written sarcasm or witticisms that do not lend themselves directly to mouth-breathing guffaws.

RFL said something I disagree with, because those points scored are deceptive, BUT you should not attack someone like that if you can't get a grip on a joke.

This thread is home to more stunning examples of fandom.

RFL makes an OBVIOUS joke (though he misrepresents those point totals--that was the D giving the O a short field and a couple of bombs where Moss did the work) and he gets called all kinds of names by some NOOB who can't grasp basic humor.

This isn't about football, this is about the lack of reading comprehension and/or refined senses of humor that cannot pick up written sarcasm or witticisms that do not lend themselves directly to mouth-breathing guffaws.

RFL said something I disagree with, because those points scored are deceptive, BUT you should not attack someone like that if you can't get a grip on a joke.

Now, now, be fair. Sarcasm can be very hard to pick up over the internet. My first reaction was the same as the poster's. I then thought about it for 5 seconds and realized that it was sarcasm, but if I had just posted my knee jerk reaction, it may have looked similar to this guy's.

I guess the lesson here is, think before you post. If someone posts something you REALLY think is stupid, ask yourself - was he being serious?

Now, now, be fair. Sarcasm can be very hard to pick up over the internet. My first reaction was the same as the poster's. I then thought about it for 5 seconds and realized that it was sarcasm, but if I had just posted my knee jerk reaction, it may have looked similar to this guy's.

I guess the lesson here is, think before you post. If someone posts something you REALLY think is stupid, ask yourself - was he being serious?

True, I should ADD (which is my mistake for omitting it in the last post) that some people are not active on this board. They post but don't read that much or debate much.

I knew RFL's position as soon as I saw the post because I know of his previous takes.

If you don't participate or know a lot of the characters on this board, it probably DOES help to just hold off on the knee-jerk responses. If there's one thing this board needs less of, it's knee-jerk posting.

I'm sorry if my toungue in cheek humor leaves some of you in the dust. Get f'n real. I've been a Redskin fan since before some of you were even born and I don't get all bent out of shape because we didn't roll over a team in the playoffs on the freaking road!!!!

We're still alive in the post season, get it? If 17 points by the D wins, so what? Would you be happier with another 36-35 outcome?

And the dickhead who sent me a PM to jump in my sh it, knock it the f off. :mad:

Thanks for taking my back, Ghost. I love you man. :)

Archived