Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins Vs Tb: A Retrospective

diesel22

What an incredible feeling today, waking up and preparing for the biggest day I've had as a Redskin fan since 1999. I know a lot of people on here feel the sweep of Dallas was the most important thing to happen this season. While breaking out the broom on "the pukes" definately made me proud, let's not lose sight of what coach Gibbs came back here to do. He is here to add to the trophy case. That is what it is all about. You win superbowls and no one cares about the regular season anymore. What do people remember about the "91 team? That our only meaningful loss that year was to Dallas? NO -- when that team is brought up, people begin to think of its dominance over the entire league and the whoopin it handed Buffalo in the Super Bowl. Gibbs is here not to return us to respectability, but to return us to dominance. This happens in the playoffs. It starts today.

Lets take a look back at our history vs TB. The '99 payoff game. This was a contest of two teams built very similar to the two which will take the field today. Both teams relied heavily on the running game (Bucs with Warrick Dunn and a much younger, more agile Mike Alstott). Redskins countered with arguably the best RB in the league during that period, Stephen Davis. A man who had spent most of his career up to that point buried on our depth chart, and never would have gotten a chance at all had it not been for a string of RB injuries. In this contest, the Redskins ran the ball very effectively and the defense played over its head for most of the game. You just got the feeling that we were in complete control. TB managed a comeback and took the lead in the 4th qtr. Even at this point, my confidence did not waiver. Sure enough, we took the ball and started marching down the field for the winning FG. As we lined up to kick it, I was already thinking about how we would match up against the Rams the following week. Then, one of the most surreal moments of my life. The snap was errant, as everything seemed to change to slow motion. At first I thought it may be a fake (which obviously made no sense given the situation). But, as I saw no one was releasing into pass routes, I knew the game, and our season, had come to a sudden and heartbreaking end. I was sick for days......

Now, flash forward to the return of Gibbs. In his opening game, he pounded TB. What an opener it was, with Clinton busting a huge TD right off the bat and our defense dominating up until the final play......

Coming into this yrs 1st matchup with TB, you can imagine my confidence. We had significantly improved upon the team which killed the Bucs the previous yr, and our tenacious defense was going up against a rookie QB. Despite blown assignments and HORRIFIC calls (the force-out given to Galloway is still the one that burns me the worst), I was again confident we would win throughout the game. I really wasn't even that nervous about the 2 point conversion. That loss was as hard to swallow as any regular season game I can remember.

Now........Tampa Bay, you have our attention. Neither the fans nor the players are taking this match-up lightly again. Due to that fiasco in November, you have gotten the attention of this entire franchise and I'm not sure you want to do that. When this team is focused it can beat anyone in this league. Exactly how difficult do you think it was for a master motivator such as coach Gibbs to get the team mentally prepared for this one? I expect the best effort, and the most focused effort, we have seen from this team all year. I truly do not think it will be close as I believe we won't take our foot off their throat until the final gun. We owe them that much. We owe them.

:bucsuck:

I liked the read, very motivating. I give you a B+, because you did not mention the bogusness of the 2 pt conversion.

I didnt focus on it bc - honestly - I couldn't tell if he was in or out. My heart was saying we stopped him but it was ruled a successful conversion on the field and I really didnt see enough to overturn it. That said, I was still very upset about the officiating as a whoile in the game.

Archived