Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis better start than Emmitt Smith

tenken627

Unfortunately, we all know Emmitt Smith pretty well.

So this stat here actually surprises me.

# of rushing yards for Clinton Portis in his first 4 years -

5,930 yards

# of rushing yards for NFL Rushing Leader Emmitt Smith in his first 4 years -

5,699 yards

A difference of 231 yards in Portis favor.

Who has the more rushing attempts in those 4 years?

Emmitt Smith - by 4 more carries than Portis

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5218420

Damn...that's quite impressive on Portis' behalf. The only thing I'm worried about is durability but then again he's proven over and over he's durable for hte most part. Gets small injuries but who doesn't? If he keeps this up god knows how good he can become!

GO PORTIS!!! I bought a jersey of yours today! redskins 4 ever okay?!! :)

The only thing that worries me is the amount of attempts it is taking for him to reach these yards..

In Denver his stats where

2002 - 273 attempts - 1508 yards

2003 - 290 attempts - 1591 yards

With Washington

2004 - 343 attempts - 1315 yards

2005 - 352 attempts - 1516 yards

ALOT more attempts to get near the same amount of yards. A RB can only take so much punishment.

I think a better title for this thread would have been: Portis better BACK than Emmitt Smith. Emmitt Smith is by far the most overrated back in the history of the league. he ran behind the nastiest offensive line in the league for a decade, and had hall of famers Aikman and Irvin to take the pressure off the Cowboy's run game. Jay Novacek wasn't a bad option either. anyone who thinks Emmitt was in even the top FIVE backs of all time is smoking crack.

1. Barry Sanders

2. Sweetness

3. Jim Brown

4. Gale Sayers

5. Ladanian

6. Curtis Martin

7. Not Emmitt Smith

8. Maybe Emmitt Smith

9. The Bus

10. Okay fine, Emmitt Smith

Curtis Martin is a prime example of what happens to a great back when he goes to a crappy team. instead of Troy Aikman he gets Vinny Testaverde. Instead of Michael Irvin he gets Wayne Chrebet. Instead of the Cowboys offensive line, he gets...well, the Jets offensive line. And STILL he rips it up! Just as Emmitt is the most overrated of all time, it's my contention Curtis Martin is the most UNDERrated of all time.

Here are some of the comparisons to some of the top backs in the league right now from their first 4 years (only rushing yards, not including receiving):

LaDainian Tomlinson

2001 - 339 attempts, 1236 yards, 3.6 avg

2002 - 372 attempts, 1683 yards, 4.5 avg

2003 - 313 attempts, 1645 yards, 5.3 avg

2004 - 339 attempts, 1335 yards, 3.9 avg

4 year total - 1363 attempts, 5899 yards, 4.3 avg

Shaun Alexander

2000 - 64 attempts, 313 yards, 4.9 avg (not going to include this year beacuse of low attempts)

2001 - 309 attempts, 1318 yards, 4.3 avg

2002 - 295 attempts, 1175 yards, 4.0 avg

2003 - 326 attempts, 1435 yards, 4.4 avg

2004 - 353 attempts, 1696 yards, 4.8 avg

4 year total - 1283 attempts, 5624 yards, 4.4 avg

Edgerrin James

1999 - 369 attempts, 1553 yards, 4.2 avg

2000 - 387 attempts, 1709 yards, 4.4 avg

2001 - 151 attempts, 662 yards, 4.4 avg

2002 - 277 attempts, 989 yards, 3.6 avg

4 year total - 1184 attempts, 4913 yards, 4.2 avg

Clinton Portis

2002 - 273 attempts, 1508 yards, 5.5 avg

2003 - 290 attempts, 1591 yards, 5.5 avg

2004 - 343 attempts, 1315 yards, 3.8 avg

2005 - 352 attempts, 1516 yards, 4.3 avg

4 year total - 1258 attempts, 5930 yards, 4.7 avg

I would have liked to add in other top RBs, but either they are late bloomers (ie. Tiki Barber) or haven't played 4 years yet (ie. Larry Johnson).

Portis does have the undisputed most yards in his first 4 years in the league.

I think a better title for this thread would have been: Portis better BACK than Emmitt Smith. Emmitt Smith is by far the most overrated back in the history of the league. he ran behind the nastiest offensive line in the league for a decade, and had hall of famers Aikman and Irvin to take the pressure off the Cowboy's run game. Jay Novacek wasn't a bad option either. anyone who thinks Emmitt was in even the top FIVE backs of all time is smoking crack.

1. Barry Sanders

2. Sweetness

3. Jim Brown

4. Gale Sayers

5. Ladanian

6. Curtis Martin

7. Not Emmitt Smith

8. Maybe Emmitt Smith

9. The Bus

10. Okay fine, Emmitt Smith

Curtis Martin is a prime example of what happens to a great back when he goes to a crappy team. instead of Troy Aikman he gets Vinny Testaverde. Instead of Michael Irvin he gets Wayne Chrebet. Instead of the Cowboys offensive line, he gets...well, the Jets offensive line. And STILL he rips it up! Just as Emmitt is the most overrated of all time, it's my contention Curtis Martin is the most UNDERrated of all time.

And YOU are smoking crack if you think that Jim brown is 3rd! Jim Brown is by far the best running back ever. And its not because he has a crap ton of yards or could juke someone out of their pants its for two reasons. 1) No one could carry five guys on their back and keep going or just plain run over people like him and 2) 5.2 yards per carry LIFETIME AVERAGE. You are also smoking crack if you think LT is number 5 or that Curtis Martin or the Bus are in the top ten. We are talking ALL TIME here. LT is a great back don't get me wrong but, its WAY too early to be putting him even in the top ten of ALL TIME. He could have a career ending injury or fall off. He's good and maybe someday he might be up there in the top 5 but not right now. If youre going to put him in the top 10 then Terrell Davis is definately in there just by your own logic. The true test of a great RB is time. Remember that.

Edit: By the way, espn.com analysts did a vote on the best running backs of all time about a year ago and Jim Brown was voted number 1 by almost all of them(i think one person said he was number 2)

well, we'll have to agree to disagree. first of all, Barry Sanders was the most freakish athlete the league has ever seen, in my opinion. sure he might not have been as big as JB, but he could change direction on a dime, he was FAST, and he did have good power. you can't honestly say JB could hold a candle to Barry in the juke department. also, Barry played in the league at a time when the athletes were all bigger, stronger, and faster than when JB played. do you honestly think if JB played now (or even when Barry played) that he would have been as dominant as he was? heck no. and don't forget that Barry played for a crap franchise that usually fielded a crap team, with crap QBs and crap receivers. gee, on whom do you think opposing defenses were focusing?

as for LT not being in the league long enough, I don't think that matters. I think part of the "greatest of all time" game is prescience, forecasting. according to YOUR logic, the greatest backs of all time would simply be reflected by the pecking order of the record books, where Emmitt would be #1, if you're going to insinuate that time in the league is a factor. and no one would seriously consider Terrell Owens to be one of the greatest of all time. he ran behind a great line and had hall of fame help (Elway, Sharpe). perhaps if Denver's running game had died when Davis retired a stronger case could have been made, but it didn't, thus showing that you can plug just about anyone into that Denver system and have success.

Archived