Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gregg Easterbrook: How Philly telegraphed Redskins 3rd and short and negated Cooley

ArmchairRedskin

In our last game our first down plays were run Clinton. It was obvious that the Eagles were playing the run. Just as I was thinking we needed to mix it up on first down we called a play action long pass ... TD !!!

By doing the same thing consistantly the defense will expect it and when it gets to that point ... bam!!!

Perhaps it was the Eagles defense that negated him; but with the two false starts, I think something else was bothering him or maybe he did too much New Years Eve celebrating. It was certainly his worst game that I can remember. I also heard something about him getting hurt; but haven't heard anything further.

I don't have enough posts to start a post of my own; so I am using this thread to ask ... What happened to Chris Cooley in Philly?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9140954

Sweet 'N' Sour Team: Mark Brunell sure looked like his old self by firing beautiful, deep passes to Santana Moss and James Thrash, plus running on third-and-8 for a late conversion that nearly iced the Skins' playoff invitation. But Washington keeps rolling Brunell left (he's left-handed) on short-yardage downs, and it's fooling no one.

Philadelphia leading 17-7, Washington had third-and-1 on the Nesharim 6; Brunell play faked and rolled left, fooling no one, incompletion. Philadelphia leading 20-17, Washington facing third-and-3, Brunell play faked and rolled left, fooling no one, incompletion. Washington leading 24-20 with 3:25 remaining, facing third-and-3, Brunell play faked and rolled left, fooling no one, incompletion. All three plays were designed to go to H-back Chris Cooley, and all three times Eagles defenders, knowing what was coming, swarmed over Cooley.

Memo to Redskins coaches: Everybody in the free world expects Brunell to play fake and roll left on short-yardage downs. This was the single-most predictable action in the NFL this season, and Washington needs to fix the problem before the playoffs commence.

I think Die Hard addressed this problem here on ES the week before the Dallas game. Other than his comment that Dallas was going to kill us, I agreed with his post. Apparently, Easterbrook did as well.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132006

Archived