Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Taking early lead is crucial...

In both the Dallas and Giants game we got the early lead. This allowed us to run our balanced attack.

My question is, if another team gets lucky and puts us down like 14-0 early (hey even the Colts got down like 17-0 in one game this season), do we have the gameplan and character to overcome the deficit and win?

The one time we have been down big early this year was against the Giants and we totally imploded (remember the fumble of the kickoff to start the second half?).

So anyway, that's my question for the posters. If we get down by two touchdowns early, can we still get it done in your opinion?

great topic again smartman!!! i think we were down 14 in the first quarter the offense would not change as much, but most of the passing will come out of the shotgun.. however, if the skins are down 14 in the 4th, i cant see them making a comeback, unless 2 deep shots to moss works again.

I think we have the character to come from behind but it would be tough. Your thread title says it all, Philthy if allowed to hang in will give us a fight like they did the Gnats. I just don't see Gibbs allowing this game to be close, he's going for the throat early and often, or at least I hope he does.

:eaglesuck :dallasuck :gaintsuck

Regarding "killer instinct".

A lack thereof was the reason IMHO that we lost the close games we did. You could literally see and feel the team curl up in a ball and start trying to kill the clock with a 7 point lead and 15 minutes left to play. Contrast this to the Colts, for instance, that can have a 14 point lead with 5 minutes to play and they are still throwing bombs and trying to score.

Lately, we seem to be doing a better job of this, although the play calling does seem to still pull back a bit when we have a lead late (are we calling more aggressive plays or are we just performing better on the same conservative plays?). Maybe it is because Walt Harris isn't playing 15 yards off the receiver anymore when it is 3rd and 8 in the 4th quarter (it hurts to laugh at how dumb that was).

Anyway, it has occured to me that Joe Gibbs tendency to not want to crush the necks of his opponents when they are down may have something to do with his religious beliefs. He may feel a bit guilty for humiliating an opponent and 'running up the score'. I was raised a very strict Baptist and I can actually imagine him feeling this way. However, Tony Dungy is also quite religious and he doesn't see it that way apparently.

I am not saying that this is the cause, I am saying it 'might' have something to do with it. Nevertheless, I think Joe has seen the light and realized that running up the score isn't a bad thing and can save you from unexpected surprises.

Archived