Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In Retrospect

Mania

It is January 2004 and I'm starting to think that Dan Snyder will hire Ray Rhodes as the Coach to replace Spurrier. I really wanted Denny Green to take over but of course I said why can't we just get Joe Gibbs back. He would right the ship!

That evening I log onto extremskins and see a thread Breaking News.....Joe Gibbs hired as the Washington Redskins head coach. I got a tingling feeling all over, but I didn't believe it just yet, however by the end of the thread it looked as it was true. I then turned on Sportscenter and watched as everything fell into place.

.................Turn the clock forward --- 1 game is remaining in the 2005 season and we have the playoffs in hand not needing anyone to help us out --- it is all up to us with a small chance of actually winning the division with Help from the Raiduhs.

Great Job Gibbs and Company! I never doubted you, not Once!

I was on the phone with the season ticket office renewing for the season and had no clue about the news.

At the end of the conversation I said, "So, who do you think it's going to be?"

The guy said "well, we can't say for sure but you know about the rumors right?

I said, "No, not at all."

He said: "It looks like it's going to be Gibbs."

(silence, except for the sound of my phone hitting the floor.)

Just walked into work and my buddy walked up to me and said" i almost hit a tree this morning on the way in" of course i didnt believe him when he told me the news until i pulled it up on the internet.The look of fear in his eyes was priceless. OH and i lost a 1200 dollar bet that he was lying.

I personally will never forget that day.. I woke up with ESPN on television and the rumor was there.... I called people I thought would be in the know and they all confirmed the rumor.

I was glued to the internet/espn all day... and finally it was made official.

I was in heaven.

I remember when he retired. I was at an airport in Chicago when I heard about it.

The high I experienced to hear he was back as the peak to the low I experienced to hear he had retired.

The new era of Joe Gibbs has already produced moments I will never forget. He's got three more years, I've got a real good feeling about this just like the rest of you! When was the last time you really thought the Skins would sweep Dallas and Philly, get revenge on NYG, and make the playoffs! This guy's a legend!!!

:logo:

I still re-read the originial thread on Gibbs coming back

"Woah woah woah, Gibbs coming back?!?"

I was in New Jersey the night of January 7th, 2004, at my cousins place

It was just past midnight and I was reading the washingtonpost.com and saw the story

I quickly came over to extremeskins.com to see the reaction of the board

At the time this place had about 3,000 members. I swear to you all 3,000 members must have been online at that moment because this place was going nuts

We were all curious if he was coming back as President only, or both

Would he have an ownership stake?

Would Bethard come back as GM?

Is this true?

etc etc

I dont think many of us got much sleep that night

The next morning my phone was blowing up as everyone in the DC area was calling me to confirm the news

I never drove so fast down I-95 and was listening to the radio stations along the way. Coughlin was being introduced as head coach of the Giants that day but the big news clearly was Gibbs

By the time I got back to the DC area, I decided to take a detour through the city rather then go through Falls Church

I literally could feel the energy in the air that day. It was a beautiful sunny day, but cold, and people were smiling

You could feel it

And on Sunday it will be here. The Redskins returning to the top

I think this is the thread SHF is talking about, for those of you who weren't around. And you have to appreciate the context, after two years of Spurrier, a seemingly disinterested coach who wasn't even trying anymore, and little hope for the future.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45952

Thank you Zen, I couldn't find it, I love Bufford's reaction of "how did you make the fake website?"

Archived