Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LW's post-game scouting report: We Got Dallas version

Leonard Washington

Initially started here as a way of keeping track of our conservative/predictable offense. Without futher delay:

Single Wr Sets (at the start of the play..not including motions to and from 1WR)

8 runs out of 60 plays=1td (gained 4,2,4,0,-1,6, 1)

3 passes=2TD (gained 8, 3, 4)

Calls on 3rd and short (1-3)

1 pass-first down catch overturned by illegal touching on moss

1 run-portis first down

Playaction passes

half ass PA...TD cooley

almost INTs by ware...brunell was TRYING to throw it away. :laugh:

Throws to WRs

Jacobs trick play but he made the catch out of bounds :doh: bad throw by Brunell IMO

Farris catchable pass but overthrown by Brunell (moss pointed as wide open on tv)

Runs on First down

18/23 gained at least a yard on every play...betts scored his td on first down

Deep shots

Jacobs out of bounds, Farris incomplete

Moss!!! 42yds shoulda been a TD

Conclusions: Obviously everything we did worked so there's nothing gripe about. The playcalling wasn't new or exotic, the oline just dominated. This was hands down the best line play on both sides of the ball in a long long while. We really put their defense on its heels and it allowed for big plays in the passing game.

I'm halfway glad Brunell didn't have to win the game for us b/c his accuracy was off and his throws hung in the air FOREVER. The throw to Moss was nice but more a tribute to Moss's excellent ball skills and Glenn's Bailey-like skills. A luckier/better CB would at least bat that away or worse INT. Thankfully Brunell had enough zip on that screen to get to Moss b/c that had six written all over it for the Cowboys.

Brunell and the RBs are doing a poor job selling the PA pass, but its the movement of the oline that's really fooling people. We have a greater interest in fooling the dlinemen, hoping the LB follow the dlinemen, and lletting the pulling olinemen/FB take care of the rest.

"Playaction passes

half ass PA...TD cooley

almost INTs by ware...brunell was TRYING to throw it away. "

How do you figure that. At that field position you throw it high and out of the back of the end zone.

I think he's talking about Brunell actually trying to sell the hand-off.. not the actual pass.

He's right too, that has happened a lot this year. After the snap, Brunell kind of lazily hangs the ball in Portis' direction and isn't very quick about pulling it back in and tucking it for effect. It goes straight to his ear looking for the pass.

"Playaction passes

half ass PA...TD cooley

almost INTs by ware...brunell was TRYING to throw it away. "

How do you figure that. At that field position you throw it high and out of the back of the end zone.

my bad those are actually 2 plays. the first was a half ass PA and it lead to a cooley td

the second play was a pass to cooley and ware stepped in front of cooley but it was a little too high to be caught (ware did get his fingertips on it).

both included half assed handoffs to the RB.

The throw to Moss was nice but more a tribute to Moss's excellent ball skills and Glenn's Bailey-like skills. A luckier/better CB would at least bat that away or worse INT.

Maybe, but this is why Moss is so scary for defenses in single coverage.

Moss was on the outside of Glenn on that route, and Brunell intentionally threw the ball to the inside of Glenn knowing that Moss' breaks on the ball while in the air are so freaky that he could get to it. The result was that Glenn had to turn all the way around to make the play on the ball, but Brunell put enough air under it for it to get over Glenn and allow Moss to make the play.

Maybe, but this is why Moss is so scary for defenses in single coverage.

Moss was on the outside of Glenn on that route, and Brunell intentionally threw the ball to the inside of Glenn knowing that Moss' breaks on the ball while in the air are so freaky that he could get to it. The result was that Glenn had to turn all the way around to make the play on the ball, but Brunell put enough air under it for it to get over Glenn and allow Moss to make the play.

there is no doubt i give moss his props on adjusting to the ball, but the ball was also accessible to glenn. glenn just didn't make the play. i don't understand the rational of throwing the ball to the inside of the defender if the defender has inside coverage. i don't think brunell did that on purpose. its hard to pinpoint deep throws but i would have put on moss's outside shoulder or lead it a little more so moss could outrun glenn. :whoknows:

Archived