Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Muhammad Ali of football

Tampa Tribune

Mixed Emotions

By KATHERINE SMITH ksmith@tampatrib.com

Published: Aug 21, 2002

LAKE BUENA VISTA - Bucs receiver E.G. Green appeared a tad paranoid. Before he spoke, he looked around to make sure no one else was listening.

The former Florida State standout was about to say something that could send all of Tallahassee into a widespread panic.

``I kind of like Coach Spurrier,'' Green said. ``He likes to compete and he's confident at what he does and that's what you have to be in the NFL.''

Steve Spurrier, the former University of Florida coach now with the Washington Redskins, is considered the enemy, as far as Florida State fans are concerned.

The visor-tossing coach returns to Florida on Saturday night for the first time since becoming Washington's head coach. He will be on the opposing sideline at Raymond James Stadium.

No doubt his presence will elicit a mixture of boos and cheers.

``He's the Muhammad Ali of football,'' Bucs general manager Rich McKay said. ``Love him or hate him, the man creates emotion. And he clearly has no problem being the center of attention.''

Derrick Brooks doesn't love or hate Spurrier. His memories of the former Florida coach during his playing days at Florida State are good ones.

``When I think of Steve Spurrier, I think winning,'' Brooks said. ``He won a lot of games at Florida. Of course, I had a winning record against him. My years there, we dominated [brooks' Seminoles were 2-1-1 against the Gators from 1991-94], so there wasn't much for him to say.''

Of course, that didn't stop Spurrier from spewing bulletin-board fodder.

No self-respecting Seminole can forget his Free Shoes University comment, following the embarrassing Foot Locker scandal that revealed several Florida State players received free merchandise.

Still, try as they might, most Seminoles actually respected Spurrier - on the field, anyway.

``He's a great offensive- minded coach and was pretty much running an NFL-style offense in college,'' Bucs free safety and Florida State alumnus Dexter Jackson said. ``He probably can't guarantee putting up 50 points a game, but he'll find a way to put up some points.''

In three exhibition games, Spurrier's offense is averaging 36 points and 444 yards per game and the Redskins are 3-0.

Granted, it's the preseason. But Spurrier has set the groundwork to attempt to silence critics who say his offense won't produce the same success it did against college talent.

``You have scrubs in the NFL, too,'' Bucs defensive tackle Warren Sapp said. ``There's just more of them in college.''

Spurrier's constantly in search of new wrinkles to expose defenses. It's part of his brazen approach to the game, where he feels anything's possible.

``If it's fourth-and-whatever, he thinks he can still get it,'' said Bucs tackle Kenyatta Walker, who played three seasons for Spurrier.

One of the last conversations Walker shared with Spurrier was two years ago when the Gators tackle was urged by his coach to remain in school. Walker instead opted to leave early and enter the NFL. The Bucs selected him in the first round of last year's draft.

``He's one of those guys you have to know who you're dealing with,'' Walker said. ``He has his own way. He does things his own way and you've got to deal with that.''

That ****iness, which can rub some the wrong way, also is a major component of Spurrier's success.

``You don't go out and dominate people and have people like you,'' Sapp said. ``If you have a bull's eye on your chest, you're doing something right.''

The Ali comparison was based on them both being the lightning rod for controversy of their sport guys. Ali ran his mouth more than everyone else combined and wasn't afraid to call it like he saw it. He also didn't pull punches. Those are where the comparisons came from. Sheesh :doh:

"Spurrier, is far more accomplished than Ali"

Oh for the love of...that's an assenine thing to say. Ali is the greatest ever at his sport. While I am firmly in support of Spurrier to say he has accomplished more than Ali ever did is just patently stupid. I also wonder if you have any clue whatsoever as to what Ali does with his spare time now. Try checking his bookings for charity and humanitarian events when the guy is limited to a freakin wheelchair then yap about how "evil" he was/is.

Oh yea????...thats interesting seeing how I met him a few months ago at a charity event here in Columbus that was for sexually and emotionally abused children. He was accepting a humanitarian award from Hannah Neil center for children. My wife works in the foster care field after working for Children's services, and I have heard quite a bit in detail about Ali's contributions. I guess the underprivileged children of our country are a direct conduit to Bin Laden.

You are an idiot and should take the time to know what the hell you're talking about before you open that fat yambag of yours. Ali supports terrorism...what a doofus:stupid:

I personally like Ali, he's funny guy and he was a great champion. He has made some poor decisions and supported some organizations that fund money to our enemies.

Asked on Real Sports whether or not America deserved to be attacked on Sept. 11th, he dodged the question.

Spurrier had a better jab, great footwork and was more of a complete boxer.

Depends on the perspective. Did american civilians deserve to be attacked??/ Certainly not, but there are plenty of people around the world who's lives have been directly affected by US policy and decisions(ie Palestinians). Some of those people have a pretty damn good argument on the US deserving to get punched in the lip so to speak.

Does that condone or excuse the 9/11 attacks? Of course not, but there ARE people's in this world with legitimate beefs with our country, some legit enough to take some kind of action.

I saw the Ali interview in question and it's true he dodged the question, but he dodged a bunch of questions about religion. He said quite clearly he didn't want to be put in that position to condemn Islam. He wasn't condoning the attacks, but he wasn't gonna allow himself to be used as a tool to condemn and attack Islam either.

I will say that Ali was a racist...no doubt. He said all white people were evil or something to that effect(he was quoting Elijah Mohhammed). In the latest interview he went on to say he didn't think that was true anymore, but the fact that he said some of the things he did when he was younger can't be changed. Was he a racist??? Yes no doubt, did he have good reasons? Some would say certainly. Is he still a racist??? Who knows, but is he a terrorist and does he support terrorism??? PFfft Give me a freakin break:doh:

Uh, returning to the article . . . ;)

It's pretty cool to see the respect SS garners from competitors. maybe not from other coaches, who know he will probably show them up and give them ulcers, but from wideouts (duh) and even guys like Sapp who are pretty much straight shooters. Funny how some said he had an NFL offense in the NC2A, but haters (ahem, Pansies - er, Flowers) call it a college offense.

Cool find.

Originally posted by laurent

Nice article, but I don't like how they trivialize Ali's accomplishments, he was more than just a loudmouth.

Not sure I agree, but as a career Army officer who had both a brother and a father in Vietnam, my view is admittedly biased...

Ali, however, was a GREAT boxer. Spurrier is also much more than a loudmouth. Both talked and had the ability to back it up...

HTTR!!:cheers:

Originally posted by Orange&Blue Skins

Dollar,

You Tampa crackers have spent to much time on your sisters. I think their hairspray is rotting the mush in your bubble head.:jerkoff:

Uh, you might want to change your "location" in your profile before making that statement :):):)

Like I said , mouth open before brain engaged. ;D

Originally posted by One Dollar

now your starting to learn about Gator fans. ;) They usually open thier mouth WAY before the brain kicks in.

So nice of you to lump the entire group for the actions of a few. Do you do that with other group as well? In some quarters they call this stereotyping. In others, they call it profiling. In all, I call it WRONG!

HTTR!!:cheers:

Look fellas,

Orange & Blue never casts the first stone. I'm just trying to add a little value to your day by posting articles like this.

However, when folks start posting "Spurrier is just a loud mouth" or Gators "don't think" or guys start throwing hate because I point out a fact that seems to hurt them (i.e. Ali has supported charities that have aided our enemies); I respond.

Usually, I try to do so with humor. I don't think it's wrong to point out Bucs fans wear alot of jean shorts. Same goes for the SEC posters that look for any opportunity to bash Spurrier or former Gators. I understand their hatred and jealousy, its fun to think of them boiling over in their trailers. They have been owned like the rest of the NFC East will soon be owned.

O&B is not the bad guy here.

Hail to the Redskins.

Archived