Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ode to Derrius Thompson

Awesome

For some years now, I have been wishing that the Skins could be able to develop some talent at the WR spot, rather than bringing in FA's. Now, in the past 10 years, we've had 2 first round busts, Westbrook, Howard, and several average WR's we have developed, Thrash, Connell, Sheppard, who have played the #2 spot. We brought in some seasoned vets, Henry Ellard, Irving Fryar, who, while on their last legs, proved to be fairly productive.

But look at how much having young, mid to low round draft picks develop into solid, productive starters has helped teams like Denver, Rod Smith, Green Bay, Antonio Freeman, and San Fran., Terrell Owens.

You don't take a chance with a high draft pick, and you don't have to shell out a boat load for a proven vet. The effect is across the board.

This preseason I have been drooling over the possibility of Thompson breaking into the starting lineup. He's got all the tools: big, good hands, good speed, and he seems to have a presence about him that exudes confidence, unlike Westbrook. His routes are still not crisp and he's raw, but overall, he has looked great.

What a help it will be if he develops into a productive, potential pro bowl receiver for the SKINS

Originally posted by Atlanta Skins Fan

I can't wait until your next compositions:

"Ode to the return key"

and

"Ode to paragraph breaks"

;) Nice props for Thompson.

Ok,

Ok,

I admit

a big

clump

of words

can

be hard

on

the eyes

at times

:cool:

if you didn't know the background of any of the receivers and just watched them play and looked at their athletic upside, Thompson would look like a high draft choice to most people right now and a lot of people would be shocked that a guy like Reidel Anthony was actually drafted in the first round...............

welcome to the NFL, where past is not necessarily prologue :)

Archived