Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Halftime Adjustments/QBs Throwing Under 200 Yards (Skins Mentions)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9092574

Excerpts:

HALFTIME ADJUSTMENTS

Of the 88 games observed, 68 of the teams that went in at halftime with the lead went back to the locker room at the end of the game with the lead and the win. That's right 77 percent of the time if a team had a lead at halftime, it won the game. Only 20 times in the past five weeks did a team go in at intermission, change a blocking scheme, change an audible or catch enough breaks to win the game it was losing. I can't imagine any coach standing in front of his team down at the break and saying, "Come on men, we have a 23 percent chance of winning this one!" But those are the facts, which only really point to how important it is to get off to a fast start in an NFL game and play with a lead.

Knowing what I knew headed into the Week 14 games, I was very impressed to see four teams down at halftime come back and win their games. Cincinnati was at home and only behind by one point, and really should never have even been in that situation. The Titans were also at home battling the Texans down seven at halftime, but the Texans find ways to lose lately. I do tip my cap to the Redskins and Dolphins on the road in making those famous adjustments that happen a lot less than we may think they occur to pull out a win from the jaws of defeat. Washington was down seven and was in the 23 percent chance to win category, and the Redskins beat the Cardinals.

THROWING FOR UNDER 200 YARDS AND WINNING

I like to say that for the most part, the NFL is a pass-to-set-up-the-run league, and when it gets into the playoffs, I believe that will ring true -- but right now there are an awful lot of teams throwing for under 200 yards a game and still getting some "W"s.

During Week 14 (excluding MNF), there were 14 quarterbacks who were credited with a sub-200 yard passing day, and seven of them notched a victory. The concept of a passing league took a big hit this past weekend!

Carson Palmer 93 yds Win

Brooks Bollinger 119 yds Win

Mark Brunell 122 yds Win

Chris Simms 138 yds Win

Brad Johnson 146 yds Win

Brett Favre 170 yds Win

Ben Roethlisberger 173 yds Win

Archived