Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Treat em' like a rookie til' they beat you like a pro

JTCJ

Hello everyone I would like to introduce myself and say that I am and always have been a Skins' fan as I'm sure is true about you all. I begin my tenure on this site by making an inquiry to our beloved defense in regards to the playcalling in the closing moments of 3, 4th quarter losses. I feel that we took pressure off of a below mediocre over-aged QB in Kerry Collins when he wasnt getting a clean look through 3+ quarters of football and allowed him to sit in the pocket comfortably and pick us apart. The same goes for a young and talented Drew Brees (yes I disregard Tomlinson because he was and will continue to be factor) who couldnt get a look until late when pressure was taken off of him. Then we follow with a rookie in Fitzpatrick and continually put people in his face for 60 minutes of football and teach him something that the Ivy league couldnt, so I ask Redskin fans and football enthusiasts to respond to me and if there is something that I fail to see in youthful exuberance please bring it to my attention and I say to all " Treat em' like a rookie til' they beat you like a pro."

We also got beat by Chris Simms when we tried to blitz him late and he burned us deep. Problem is we have no pass rush from the front four, and that in turn makes it much easier for the offense to effectively defend blitzes. When offenses can afford can block a blitzing Shawn Springs with a Tackle, it is because they are confident their Guard can neutralize our defensive end. Bottom line, an ineffective pass rush is a problem that affects the entire defense. If our blitzes are so easily neutralized, then it is probably better to keep our secondary in coverage and hope to at least get some coverage pressure on the QB.

That said, I think that most of our loses come down to the old saying "The best defense is a good offense." Unfortunately thanks to the Gibbs-Brunell marriage, this offense is average at best.

But we were also missing our starting safety...

Although I am a HUGE Sean Taylor fan, he's not covering people like he should be. He is letting people catch the ball and very seldomly do you see he defend a pass. He make HUGE hits, which I love, but I would love to see him make some HUGE plays defending the pass.

Lets also recall that Carlos Rogers got his first start in St. Louis and was effective in man coverage all day. I think it is safe to say that Carlos is already a better cover guy than Walt Harris. It is alot easier to bring extra men on the blitz when you have confidence in your secondary. I don't believe GW still trusted Harris and laid off a little because of it.

Although I am a HUGE Sean Taylor fan, he's not covering people like he should be. He is letting people catch the ball and very seldomly do you see he defend a pass. He make HUGE hits, which I love, but I would love to see him make some HUGE plays defending the pass.

He has broken up several passes this year. Also, when a CB gets beat on a route he has to cover and it makes him look out of position when really it is not the case. Teams are not throwing at him this year either. He literally has to hawk down the sideline to get any chance at the ball. Can you remember one time this season a team has ran a post route in Taylor's area?

... I don't really know what to say. Not sure if we watch the same games. Just for fun I looked at passes defended.

Sean Taylor has 6

Troy Polamalu has 4

now ok so how bout a CB

Champ has 8

Now it's been written numerous occassions that people aren't throwing at him or testing him. But it has always appeared to me that if they do he does his job. He doesn't allow people to burn him for the big play and he does a good job defending the pass. The only play I feel like he got beat on was the fake during the Dallas game.

Anybody think the real rookie we have to watch out for this week is Antrell Rolle? I'm sure he'll be manned up on Moss.

I doubt it. I ready something where to bring him back he would be playing nickel. I dont think guarding one of the NFL's best wideouts man to man after injury is too smart. Then again they are 4-8 :laugh:

I doubt it. I ready something where to bring him back he would be playing nickel. I dont think guarding one of the NFL's best wideouts man to man after injury is too smart. Then again they are 4-8 :laugh:

True. I dont really know much about the Cardinals or their injuries, I just assumed they would try to use their number one pick against our best weapon. I hope we burn their secondary all day long.

True. I dont really know much about the Cardinals or their injuries, I just assumed they would try to use their number one pick against our best weapon. I hope we burn their secondary all day long.

Yeah hopefully this game can be a big game for Moss and a breakout game for Jacobs. Them two having their confidence up against Dallas will be huge.

Archived