Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can you say...Ohalete?

marhobo

By the end of this year, we will have no reason to keep Shade because of Ohalete's play, and by the end of next year he'll be one of the better starting safeties in the league. I think he'll represent a success in rookie evaluation for us.

well, after settling the offensive line and adding depth on the DL, safety is a position that needs some help.

we need greater athleticism and playmaking ability back there.

I still think you can find solid safeties for a moderate investment in the draft or free agency.

The mistake the Redskins have made in the past was overpaying for veteran free agents like Stanley Richard, James Washington and Sam Shade.

Someone still has to explain to me how Corey Harris determined that being in Detroit on a 1-15 team for around the same contract offer he got here was the way to go.

Although at age 32 he was a short-term solution.

I'm not really that worried about the safeties. The Redskins have won Super Bowls with less talented, less athletic safeties.

The front seven, assuming reasonable health, will allow Shade and Terrell to play to their strengths, and I like the potential that Ohalete and Lott have shown, so far.

I don't hate Shade, I just recognize his limitations - mobility and pass defense. Fortunately, his strengths - blitzing and run defense, can outweigh his limitations if the right scheme is used as was the case last year. I'd liken him to Alvin Walton in that regard, although Walton was more of a hitter and a leader of the defense than Shade is. I think Ohalete has more potential, and he sure as hell is a lot cheaper.

Shade will be either accepting the #2 spot by mid-season or earlier, as Lewis is a stickler for detail and unlike Kurt Schottenheimer, Lewis will not accepting folks getting behind his safeties so often. Once in a while it will happen, nature of the game, bug on big plays or consistantly, don't count on Lewis accepting any excuses. Warm the bench.

O, can keep up. He just needs more reps and time with the first team D.

Originally posted by RTerps2002

Sam Shade is better than Corey Harris and Kim Herring the last two Strong Safties that started for Lewis

I agree. There is a reason he didnt get cut with all the others when we were trying to cut our cap number down. His ability to play strong run support I think compliments are secondary very well, considering they are all strong cover corners.

That being said, I still like Ohalate a lot and think he has potential.

Archived